My lovely wife purchased a KC combo for fathers day last year and to her credit, it was perfect on paper. Here is my short and tragic history with this unit. I only have about 10-15 cooks on it.
- First thing I noticed (first cook I made rubbery ribs) was an ungodly hot spot above fire pot, even with grate closed. It hits 500 degrees on a heat cycle. I believe this is an inherent design flaw. It is billed as a smoker, but there is not enough headroom or side-to-side room in the small chamber to be able to move your meat far away from the hot zone. The PID holds temp fine, but the burn cycle just gets too hot anywhere you would want to set your meat. There is a rack above, but you can't fit most cuts of meat on it. This is unresolved and I do not see how it can be fixed. I've tried foil but I have not tried a ceramic deflector. I highly doubt it would change much and I really don't want to put money into this thing. I will say the pellet side is excellent for grilling and searing for this reason. (unresolved)
- Next, the controller died around my 3rd or 4th cook. I went to power it up and nothing would happen. No idea why. It is stored unplugged and under a cover. Support replaced the controller with no problems. (resolved)
- Then I started having app problems. It would go through an endless loop of firmware updates. (app changed to SmokeIT shortly after this)
- The app UI is terrible. Really really bad. It's unintuitive and buggy, even on a good day when you aren't having connection problems. (unresolved)
- Next, with the new controller and having given up on the app, I learned that the ash clearing brush was 100% useless as the bristles cook off and do not reach the bottom of the pot. I had smoke billowing out of the pellet hopper and found out you need to vacuum out the pot after every couple cooks. (solved unsatisfied)
- The grommet for the grate control rod doesn't stay put. (unresolved)
- And finally, just recently I powered up the grill and noticed some of the LED lights went out on the controller, and then I could not connect to the app. Support has mailed me a 2nd replacement controller and I'm hoping it also fixes my app connection problem. (unresolved)