How install a REC TEC controller on a Pit Boss

STLJonny

Reaction score
I was under the impression that you cannot buy the Rec Tec controller separately (now), unless you are a registered Rec Tec grill customer.

Can someone confirm this?

DaveXDm9

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I was under the impression that you cannot buy the Rec Tec controller separately (now), unless you are a registered Rec Tec grill customer.

Can someone confirm this?
it is true you cannot purchase a Rec-Tec controller.

DaveXDm9

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone looked into seeing if there is an alternative. I’m not an electrician so, this could challenge my skills for sure.

upjeeper

Reaction score
any idea why rec tec decided to not sell controllers unless you can prove you own one of their grills?
i added a rec tec controlled to an old traegar and it works quite well

NewbieForLife

Reaction score
it is true you cannot purchase a Rec-Tec controller.

I wonder if a Rectec controller would be acurate on another grill, if the grill didn't use the same type and guage steel as rectec. Their controller calculates heat transfer, and heat loss properties based on the properties of the type and guage steel rectecs are made of. Rectecs are 100% stainless steel where it matters. Other grills are not. If the grill the controller is mounted on was not 7-10 gauge stainless steel like a rectec would the readings and the contol methods of those readings be as acurate on that grill as they are on a rectec? Or would you have to recalibrate the controller to represent the steel type and guage on the grill its being mounted on for it to be accurate?

GeekChef

Reaction score
I wonder if a Rectec controller would be acurate on another grill, if the grill didn't use the same type and guage steel as rectec. Their controller calculates heat transfer, and heat loss properties based on the properties of the type and guage steel rectecs are made of. Rectecs are 100% stainless steel where it matters. Other grills are not. If the grill the controller is mounted on was not 7-10 gauge stainless steel like a rectec would the readings and the contol methods of those readings be as acurate on that grill as they are on a rectec? Or would you have to recalibrate the controller to represent the steel type and guage on the grill its being mounted on for it to be accurate?
Perfectly accurate.....extremely......I installed my RecTeq controller on my Pitboss Vertical over a year ago and it is amazing...! The quality of the Pitboss with the accuracy of the RecTeq makes it the perfect duo....the best in the price range....period.

One of the things you can do with the RecTeq is adjust a probe bias.....so I put in four probes across the center rack and took an average of that temperature.....and then I use the bias offset to make the PitBoss temperature probe equal the temperature in the middle of the center rack. This makes that rack my known cook temperature. So you can see that my mechanical temperature gauge matches perfectly to the RecTeq controller on that rack.

I highly recommend replacing the PitBoss controller with any other PID Controller....especially the RecTeq one....if you have access to one.

1664295826851.png
1664295861087.png

1664295795013.png
1664295938289.png

🔥 Popular Pit Boss Products 🔥

Latest Discussions