Grease Trough Design Flaw or Not

Steve In Pa

Reaction score
I just watch a video where a guy was saying there was a “design flaw” in the grease trough at the back of the Series 4 Vertical. Apparently he used it for some time and did not realize that the spout at the bottom of the trough was not inserted in the drain hole that takes the grease down to the collecting pan.

True, if the spout is out of place you’re going to have a mess and maybe even a fire hazard. But is that a design flaw? My take is that the user really needs to pay attention and have a basic knowledge of how the smoker is supposed to work, how it’s designed and what’s going on in the process.

First time i cleaned my vertical I didn’t quite get the spout inserted correctly but in looking it over I saw the misalignment and reset it. Not a big deal and not a design flaw.

He also noted how the grease tray tended to catch on the top of the trough when the tray is inserted or removed.

True., But a second or two of jiggling and boom there you go, in or out as needed. To me, not a big deal.

Yes there is buggy stuff, and perhaps some redesign is in order. But sometimes the issues raised are more user awareness than machine malfunction.

I just watch a video where a guy was saying there was a “design flaw” in the grease trough at the back of the Series 4 Vertical. Apparently he used it for some time and did not realize that the spout at the bottom of the trough was not inserted in the drain hole that takes the grease down to the collecting pan.

True, if the spout is out of place you’re going to have a mess and maybe even a fire hazard. But is that a design flaw? My take is that the user really needs to pay attention and have a basic knowledge of how the smoker is supposed to work, how it’s designed and what’s going on in the process.

First time i cleaned my vertical I didn’t quite get the spout inserted correctly but in looking it over I saw the misalignment and reset it. Not a big deal and not a design flaw.

He also noted how the grease tray tended to catch on the top of the trough when the tray is inserted or removed.

True., But a second or two of jiggling and boom there you go, in or out as needed. To me, not a big deal.

Yes there is buggy stuff, and perhaps some redesign is in order. But sometimes the issues raised are more user awareness than machine malfunction.
Also, after many smokes the trough can collect junk and slow the flow of grease to the grease pan. I was amazed at the junk that was in mine once I remove the plate to vacuum under the smoker.

Last edited:
Also, after many smokes the trough can collect junk and slow the flow of grease to the grease pan. I was amazed at the junk that was in mine once I remove the plate to vacuum under the smoker.
I scrape out the stuff in the trough when I clean. I poke a screw driver down the trough drain to clear that out. So far never an issue but without that cleaning like you said disaster is awaiting

Back