Grate Cleaning

JUPITER PIT BOSS

Media
Reaction score
Just broke in my new 850 Pro Series. On my gas grill I used to pre-heat the grill to 600 and brush the grates with a wire grill brush. How often should you clean the grates on the smoker? Before or after smoking?

Attachments

• 6495DE1C-562B-44AC-BB71-047BCE68ED2F.jpeg
    6495DE1C-562B-44AC-BB71-047BCE68ED2F.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 97
  • B5C7E5DD-FC0E-4D1C-BE69-F68F74490AB5.jpeg
    B5C7E5DD-FC0E-4D1C-BE69-F68F74490AB5.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 52
After each cook, I run the temp up to 400 or so for 10 mins or so. This lets the grease heat up and run more to the drain and bucket.
I use a steel brush as temp rises to knock off the food particles on grates. The process crystalizes most everything left on the grates and heat shield.

Then, I am like others, in the way of cleaning before cooking. Use steel brush to knock off the dried char of grates. (then take off)
Use a 6" drywall metal drywall knife to scrape the heat shield. (then take off)
THEN, finally use a shop-vac and vacuum out the burn pot, bottom cavity, and grease ditch on edge the heat shield.

After each cook, I run the temp up to 400 or so for 10 mins or so. This lets the grease heat up and run more to the drain and bucket.
I use a steel brush as temp rises to knock off the food particles on grates. The process crystalizes most everything left on the grates and heat shield.

Then, I am like others, in the way of cleaning before cooking. Use steel brush to knock off the dried char of grates. (then take off)
Use a 6" drywall metal drywall knife to scrape the heat shield. (then take off)
THEN, finally use a shop-vac and vacuum out the burn pot, bottom cavity, and grease ditch on edge the heat shield.
I gotta go back to the store and get supplies!

I’ll offer this. I usually clean the grates after the cook. Big mess in the sink. Lol. So what I do now is. I found a rubbery pan gizmo at tractor supply. They had it marked down but it wasn’t that expensive anyway. Made from recycled materials. Btw I also have a round one with two handles that works great to empty the pellets if I decide to change em out.

Anyway I just stumbled on this one day and thought hmmm gotta be good for something. And it was.

Last cook was when the storms blew in and I didn’t clean squat.
I was getting ready the other day to tackle that mess. The drip tray was awful too. And a lightbulb went off.

I put 3 grates from the PBV4 and also the drip tray. And added a couple of grates from the Hammertone and some Dawn dishwashing liquid Filled with the water hose and just let it sit a few hours while I worked on some other chores.

Finally went to check em out and to my surprise all the crud even on the drip tray literally was falling off. I used a plastic pad kinda like steel wool and was done in probably 10 minutes. That pan was perfect size. And now my friend. Lol. If I can find a link I’ll post em. That round one will actually fold together but very heavy mtl. Great for handling the pellets.

Oh. And I guess Dawn is good for more than cleaning oil off baby ducks. Lol.

Back