Giardiniera

Solly

Reaction score
How many people are familiar with giardiniera ? (no it's not a disease) If your from the Chicago area or midwest you probably are ,if not you should acquaint yourself with it !! its a pickled veggie blend containing Serrano Peppers, Soybean Oil/olive Oil Blend, Celery, Carrots, Red Peppers, Olives, Spices, Water, Vinegar, Salt, it comes in two versions hot or mild. I was raised on the stuff and sling it around like some people use hot sauce, I put it in eggs, egg salad, chicken salad all kinds of things, it's especially good baked on a pizza or on a meatball or Italian beef sandwhich !! Now this is IMPORTANT don't buy the stuff packed in water !! it has to be packed in oil !! why is this important ? because when your looking for a binder for your rubs a teaspoon of oil from a jar of giardiniera works great !!
when I last smoked a meatloaf I used my traditional 3 ground meat recipe, used a little oil from the jar as a binder and used a couple of tablespoons of giardiniera in the mix OHHH YEAH !!!
Now if you have a aversion to spicy food this may not be for you but if you want to add a little kick/ pop to your life give it a try !! The brand I usually use is Vienna Brand , sold at Safeway.
giarddiniera.jpg

How many people are familiar with giardiniera ? (no it's not a disease) If your from the Chicago area or midwest you probably are ,if not you should acquaint yourself with it !! its a pickled veggie blend containing Serrano Peppers, Soybean Oil/olive Oil Blend, Celery, Carrots, Red Peppers, Olives, Spices, Water, Vinegar, Salt, it comes in two versions hot or mild. I was raised on the stuff and sling it around like some people use hot sauce, I put it in eggs, egg salad, chicken salad all kinds of things, it's especially good baked on a pizza or on a meatball or Italian beef sandwhich !! Now this is IMPORTANT don't buy the stuff packed in water !! it has to be packed in oil !! why is this important ? because when your looking for a binder for your rubs a teaspoon of oil from a jar of giardiniera works great !!
when I last smoked a meatloaf I used my traditional 3 ground meat recipe, used a little oil from the jar as a binder and used a couple of tablespoons of giardiniera in the mix OHHH YEAH !!!
Now if you have a aversion to spicy food this may not be for you but if you want to add a little kick/ pop to your life give it a try !! The brand I usually use is Vienna Brand , sold at Safeway.
View attachment 5392
Thanks @Solly. I've had it before but never thought of using the oil as a binder. Thanks for the tip.

View attachment 5392
Being in NE Illinois, i've been enjoying Giardiniera my whole life. Vienna is the best. Always have some on hand and use it regularly. Oil is the only way. Never thought about using the oil for a binder, but i sure will now...👍👍👍

View attachment 5392
Yes, i immediately associated that name with beaver fever aka Giardia. Ha.
Thanks for the tip, will be on the look out for that.
Walmart offers many brands of that mostly from independent sellers.

Back