Danger! Fire!

My less than 4 month old vertical smoker was great until the control panel caught on fire and started a fire in the hopper! This wasn’t a small fire and would have burned my house down had we not been home. Pit Boss only replaces parts! It doesn’t matter how new the product is - they just replace parts. That’s the most ridiculous warranty I’ve ever heard! I wouldn’t buy any of their products.
Looks bad but really glad it didn't get your house. I have a pretty good size horizontal that 3or4 years old been pretty good. I do some pretty long cooks my last one the butts went on at 8.30 pm and came off at around 2.30 pm.low and slow. I have learned when you unplug it grab the plug itself I broke the wires inside the plug

Wow, thanks for the info. I have a vertical smoker and so far so good.
After a smoke I've been doing a burn off by setting to high. Doing that burn off the unit has reached 450F plus at times, fortunately with no probs.
But with your info I'll be watching more closely for signs of trouble.

Exact same fire on my PBV4PS2. PitBoss shipped me a new unit free of charge. Agreed to do this within 5 minutes of receiving an email with photos. This was obviously something on their radar screen.

Attachments

• IMG-1290.jpg
    IMG-1290.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-1291.jpg
    IMG-1291.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-1292.jpg
    IMG-1292.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 45
Back