Beware - PSA

edhdowns

Reaction score
This is a PSA regarding the 5 Burner Ultimate Griddle. The griddle works fine, however the lid has rusted badly in less than a year. This unit has a cover, is used often, and the lid is rusting in 3 different places. Whats worse, is the rest of the unit looks nearly new, but the lid is a different story. Either it wasn't powder coated properly, or it can't handle the heat that is generated and causes the paint or powdercoat to fail. Customer service agent tried to help, but leadership said no, and their answer to me was "sand it and paint with high-temp paint". I have had a couple blackstones and NEVER had this issue with the cabinet. My recommendation if you care about how well your griddle/cabinet hold up, is to AVOID the Pit Boss 5 Burner Ultimate Griddle.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 8
That's unfortunate. Based on how the rest of it has held up, I've got a question. Perhaps it's a stupid one because I don't own a griddle. Are you supposed to put the cover down when griddling? You mentioned that maybe heat affected the finish on the hood, and I'm wondering if it is built for use while cooking.

I'm sorry that customer service didn't give you what you were looking for.

That's unfortunate. Based on how the rest of it has held up, I've got a question. Perhaps it's a stupid one because I don't own a griddle. Are you supposed to put the cover down when griddling? You mentioned that maybe heat affected the finish on the hood, and I'm wondering if it is built for use while cooking.

I'm sorry that customer service didn't give you what you were looking for.
Good question, but i don't think putting the lid down will cooking is the issue. The rest of the Griddle looks almost new. There is a definite issue with the way the lid was painted or powder coated. Most frustrating is that they were not taking any responsibility. Bottom line, the griddle looks terrible, and I'm just telling folks who see how poor it looks to buy a blackstone, which I also own and have never had rusting/peeling on the enclosure.

Easy fix. Sand it down. Then spray with high heat paint. You can buy a can of it anywhere and it’s pretty cheap. Then coat the inside with oil.
I agree it can be fixed, but the fact that I have to do that on a product that is less than a year old is just the fact that their enclosure lid (at least mine) is defective for it to rust out this quick. It actually started rusting within 6 months. Their unwillingness to do anything at all is pathetic customer service. It's too bad, because the griddle is good, Oh well, at least I'm doing my part to let people know about their poor quality and to seriously consider the blackstone and traeger alternatives.

Blackstone and Treager are more expensive than a Pit Boss, aren't they? Dont know about griddles other than they cook hot and fast. The lid would seem to me to be just for keeping bird poop and raccoon pee off of it. I get your disappointment, but you say you like the unit itself. Prep, paint and be happy. Life is too short....

Blackstone and Treager are more expensive than a Pit Boss, aren't they? Dont know about griddles other than they cook hot and fast. The lid would seem to me to be just for keeping bird poop and raccoon pee off of it. I get your disappointment, but you say you like the unit itself. Prep, paint and be happy. Life is too short....
Blackstone is not more expensive than PB, but I think the Traeger is. Lid is certainly for more than protecting bird poop, but I like that value too. Life is too short to support companies that make a poor product. This was my first and last PB as I have used a blackstone for several years too. I take care of my stuff, so having a product look like this just doesn't work for me. I'm going to clean it up a bit and post it for sale. Best to you and happy grilling/griddling/smoking.

Latest Discussions

Back