Ash under Fire Pot Cover/Air Flow Diverter.

Hey folks, I called Pit Boss support on this issue and the tech gal there advises that such accumulation of ash where I described is "normal" and they recommend cleaning that out every few cooks depending on length of your cooks.
I my case I had about 4 months of ash buildup. I'll probably check that every couple months given what I found and my probable use pattern.
Otherwise I still am going try sifting the pellets before they go in the hopper. I'm curious what I get out of that.
You would think they would put that in the owner's manual.

I decided to take a look under the fire pot cover there on the bottom of the cabinet in my vertical. This apparently is designed to direct the airflow up through the walls of the smoker. You can see in the pic where the hot air and or smoke goes into the walls.
Notice the ash that has settled there over the past 4 months. I vacuumed the ash out. Looking in the manual I don't see anything about routinely cleaning this part of the smoker, but I will be probably every 2-3 months with regular use. I don't know if ash accumulation is normal. But I'm glad the ash is settling there rather than being pushed out on the food.
Another thing is the screws holding this cover in place are rusting already. I got them out, but upon replacement gave them a shot of WD40 inside the where the screw threads in. That'll add a special flavor enhancement on the next cook.
View attachment 2253
Is this a Bruswick?

Latest Discussions

Back