600 Degrees on Smoke setting

Ry@n

Reaction score
I recently got the Tailgater and went through the initial seasoning step and the temperature would fluctuate +/- 150 F during the burn off. I thought that was odd, but since I was at a high temperature figured it would be more accurate at lower temperatures.

Same large swing in temperature at a setpoint of 225 - ranges from 165 all the way to 400 and never seems to settle down.

Most concerning, the smoke setting with P4 lead to a temperature of 600! Anyone have any suggestions? I have already gone through and cleaned the pot, but that didn't fix it.

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad internal probe. First check to make sure pellets aren't continuously feeding. If the auger doesn't stop feeding pellets it's a wiring issue. If it runs then shuts off then runs again it is operating normally and probably your internal probe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ry@n

Reaction score
Auger runs fine, I went and checked it. I cleaned the probe so I will test it and see if the probe just needed some cleaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ry@n

Reaction score
Seems to be running fine, I guess the temp probe just needed to be cleaned. Thanks!