60 years old and got my First Smoker...

MindlessCorpse

Reaction score
Hello All,

New guy here with my first ever smoker.
Been wanting a smoker for years. My wife saw me slightly drooling over the PBV4ProSeries2. She asked what I thought of it and I told her I wouldn't mind having it, it looks/feels pretty decent.
So she got it for my birthday.
Tried a couple of racks of St Louis style ribs, first rack was pretty good, but the second rack didn't get cooked long enough and I didnt like so much. (wife in a hurry...)
Anyhow, for grins, my wife picked up a 8.5lb Pork Butt/bone in for me to try,
meat.jpg

So, here I go with the mustard and seasoning,

seasoned.jpg

Put two probes in the meat, one from the smoker control box, one from a remote temp monitor.
Also laid one probe from the smoker control box on the grate next to the smoker temp main probe, and laid one on the grate for the remote reader... so, 4 meat probes in use.

smoker.jpg

Put the pork in at 9:00pm,
21.5 hours later,

done.jpg

Wrapped it and let it rest for an hour then shredded by hand.
It smells fantastic and the flavor is excellent!!!
I used PB Apple Pellets for this run.
Smoked with the fat side up, the fat slid right off easily and the bone pulled clean.

I learned a lot about this smoker during this 21 hour run. I think I am going to really like using it!

Anyhow, thanks for reading,
MC

Welcome from SC! Lookin good!
21 hours what yemp was you at?
Hi @Jimsmokes.

Thanks from Iowa.
2 hrs at 130
15 hrs at 220. Meat probe reading 152, was stalled at 150/152 for about 4 hrs...
Adjusted temp up hourly to 350 over the next 2 hrs.
let it set at 350 (cabinet temp showed warmer on two probes, around 375-ish) for 2.5 hrs until meat probes showed 193 and 197.

MC

typo

Hi @Jimsmokes.

Thanks from Iowa.
2 hrs at 130
15 hrs at 220. Meat probe reading 152, was stalled at 150/152 for about 4 hrs...
Adjusted temp up hourly to 350 over the next 2 hrs.
let it set at 350 (cabinet temp showed warmer on two probes, around 375-ish) for 2.5 hrs until meat probes showed 193 and 197.

MC

typo

Your temps seem really low to start.
Please familiarize yourself with the 40-140 in 4 hours rule. We all love low and slow smoke cooking but need to make sure we're doing it safely.

Hello All,

Been wanting a smoker for years. My wife saw me slightly drooling over the PBV4ProSeries2. She asked what I thought of it and I told her I wouldn't mind having it, it looks/feels pretty decent.
Tried a couple of racks of St Louis style ribs, first rack was pretty good, but the second rack didn't get cooked long enough and I didnt like so much. (wife in a hurry...)
View attachment 5408

View attachment 5409

Put two probes in the meat, one from the smoker control box, one from a remote temp monitor.
Also laid one probe from the smoker control box on the grate next to the smoker temp main probe, and laid one on the grate for the remote reader... so, 4 meat probes in use.

View attachment 5410

21.5 hours later,

View attachment 5411

Smoked with the fat side up, the fat slid right off easily and the bone pulled clean.

I learned a lot about this smoker during this 21 hour run. I think I am going to really like using it!

MC

Hello All,

View attachment 5408

View attachment 5409

View attachment 5410

21.5 hours later,

View attachment 5411

MC
Congrats. Happy Birthday. Ah yes, turning 60. The good old days. 😁
I have that same model. Overall it works well.

Hello All,

View attachment 5408

View attachment 5409

View attachment 5410

21.5 hours later,

View attachment 5411

MC
Looks fantastic. Great pictures. Thanks.

Back