Wood chips in smoke tube

Hey Mike. Did you give that a try? Just curious. I didnā€™t smoke today but was still in Test mode. I had a couple of other ideas. Some sparked from some YouTubers but modified and a couple of my own. One thing I did and I just had to see. I took my 12ā€ tube and packed a couple of inches chips in the end. I took some small pieces of hickory chunks I cut out and placed next. Next went in one small briquet of charcoal. And proceeded in that order till full. Lit it up. Good fire. Wait ten mins and put it in the old cabinet I used the other day. I was curious if the charcoal would catch and smolder and keep it going down the line of the 12ā€ tube any better. Well it sorta worked. Lol would have a good burn and smoke and then a tiny one for awhile. Then good then not so good. The kicker was the charcoal was self lighting And it stunk to high heavens. Tried again with normal briquette. Did not make it past the first one. Stopped there. Everything was tamped down well like the other day.
Anyway I broke down and got my 6ā€ tube and did exactly as the other day. Chips. Kingsford pellets. Chips. Etc etc. And when I say tamped in tight I mean tight.
I lit it up. Waited maybe 7 mins. Blew it out to the smolder and eased it in the old master built cabinet. Iā€™m telling ya. It was great. Just a nice smooth clean burn to the end. My wife wanted some regular ol bbq pork chops off the Weber and I thought. Hey. Awful lotta smoke out there. Lol. I put six 3/4ā€ chops on one of those disposable matts and left for about 30 mins. Pulled em out and took to the Weber and cooked them. Outstanding smoky taste.

Oh yea the old Master built was not even plugged in btw. Just using the rack cabinet and door. Long story shortened again the six inch tube smoked great for close to three hours. And when I pulled it out there was just a nice layer of ash in it. Another thing. And I donā€™t know if it had anything to do with it but I placed it right in the middle of my 5x8 A MAZE N tray. Fit perfectly. And it MAY have vented it better than what I did the other day.
I know most donā€™t give a hoot. But thought Iā€™d share this stuff with anybody interested. Not even exactly my idea at all. Just a slight twist or two. Iā€™ve got a lot of help in here. Just thought maybe could repay the favor to anybody interested.
Nope, ended up not doing ribs. Did a poor man's brisket (chuck roast) and while I used the smoke tube I used pellets. I used Bear Mountain Oak pellets and they smelled awesome. Left the Pit Boss on smoke mode for 2 hours then turned up to 250 until internal temp was 165. Then I wrapped in butcher paper (first time I have used it) and left it until 205 internal temp. I did not time the cook at all, only the first 2 hours but I think it might have gone 7-8 hours. Then I rested in a cooler for 2 hours. I gotta say with the butcher paper the bark holds up much better than in foil. The last chuck roast I made I put in a aluminum pan when I wrapped it and put in some beef broth. That helped keep it juicy. This one (wrapped in paper) was not as juicy but the smoke was good and the bark outstanding. My 19 year old daughter says it's the best one I have done because it had such great flavor.

I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning as a rub. Also, Pit Boss Smoke Infused rub but I don't think they make that anymore because I ran out and went to Walmart to buy some more and they didn't have any. So I looked online and apparently Pit Boss doesn't make it anymore.

Sorry to get long winded here but no, I did not use chips in the smoke tube this weekend. I looked in my shed and all I have are cherry, apple and pecan wood chips and I did not want to use any of those on beef, I wanted to try Oak so I used pellets. Didn't use the 8 inch smoke tube, only the 12 incher. Next time I might use both at the same time.

Nope, ended up not doing ribs. Did a poor man's brisket (chuck roast) and while I used the smoke tube I used pellets. I used Bear Mountain Oak pellets and they smelled awesome. Left the Pit Boss on smoke mode for 2 hours then turned up to 250 until internal temp was 165. Then I wrapped in butcher paper (first time I have used it) and left it until 205 internal temp. I did not time the cook at all, only the first 2 hours but I think it might have gone 7-8 hours. Then I rested in a cooler for 2 hours. I gotta say with the butcher paper the bark holds up much better than in foil. The last chuck roast I made I put in a aluminum pan when I wrapped it and put in some beef broth. That helped keep it juicy. This one (wrapped in paper) was not as juicy but the smoke was good and the bark outstanding. My 19 year old daughter says it's the best one I have done because it had such great flavor.

I used McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning as a rub. Also, Pit Boss Smoke Infused rub but I don't think they make that anymore because I ran out and went to Walmart to buy some more and they didn't have any. So I looked online and apparently Pit Boss doesn't make it anymore.

Sorry to get long winded here but no, I did not use chips in the smoke tube this weekend. I looked in my shed and all I have are cherry, apple and pecan wood chips and I did not want to use any of those on beef, I wanted to try Oak so I used pellets. Didn't use the 8 inch smoke tube, only the 12 incher. Next time I might use both at the same time.
Hey that sounds great!
ive never used the butcher paper either and wondered what the diff would be if any at all. So if Iā€™m understanding right, you got a great bark. Right? Now Iā€™m gonna have to try that myself.
For the record and ref earlier posts, youā€™ve already got me leaving the temp down (S) way longer, before cranking it up to cook, and as far as just cooking with pellets thatā€™s been the biggest game changer yet for me on these things. Now Iā€™ve got to dupe what you did. Besides the butchers paper Iā€™ve never used oak. And I happen to have a couple of bags of Bear Mountain oak pellets in that bunch in the garage. Iā€™ll have to get the butchers paper though.
Iv been reading some unhappy remarks about Bear Mountain lately I kinda pushed them down my priority list. I think it was the gourmet blend Mostly though?? Iā€™ve got one or two bags of that as well.
the Kingsford hickory has been the best so far for me. And I also picked up some PB charcoal flavor from Wallyworld as you suggested. Iā€™ll say one thing for sure. This has got to be the most helpful forum Iā€™ve ever participated in. After I got my Pellet rig itā€™s no secret I was very disappointed. To the point I was almost ready to just sell it. But as Iā€™ve learned in here these things are just different animals. The basic techniques are a little different. And for the record as I slowly learn more about these things I realize how much you can do with one. And my testing with the chips well yes I miss that actual flavor and think I have it figured out for when I wish to use it. Itā€™s not like Iā€™m buying chips and stuff for this. Iā€™ve got a couple of smokers beside this one that are chip burners. So I have a good inventory of diff chips. Iā€™m learning to really like the options available with these things.
OK now itā€™s me getting long winded again. Lol. I e got to go out in a bit and I see right now I gotta pick up some butchers paper. Lol.
Oh one more thing. Iā€™ve noticed as Iā€™ve been changing the hopper out a fair amount Iā€™ve got a lot of broken pieces and dust. I read I believe you used a 1/4ā€ mesh sifter? Got one on the way. I can see where that could become problematic.
Thanks for all the information!!

Yeah butcher paper gives a better bark than foil. Foil seals in too much moisture making the rub wet. Butcher paper lets some of the moisture leak out so you get a very nice bark on a brisket, chuck roast or pork shoulder/butt. But I use both foil and butcher paper, just depends on my mood (and this past weekend was actually the second time I have used butcher paper, my wife bought me a roll for Christmas and I still had not used any of it).

As for sifters, I use mine but not all of the time. If I happen to get a bag that is full of dust I will use it. Sometimes at the end of the summer many bags have been abused by being moved around the store to different locations and they will get full of dust. If I notice it I will sift but in a lot of cases I just dump the bag in.

Pellet brands are all a personal preference. You just gotta try them all and find the one you like best.

Here's a video about sifting

Latest Discussions

Back