Which to get for a first timer?

AWEBER

Reaction score
I just bought a Pit Boss 820 (not pro) from Lowes for $398. My question is, will I be satisfied with this grill or should I go and opt for a pro version 850 or even the pro 600? I won't be having all kinds of people to cook for. Maybe 5-8 tops, but mostly 2 and my 2 daughters who don't really count because it isn't ice cream. WiFi isn't a huge deal but I know it has its perks. I haven't even taken it out of the back of the truck and I am second guessing my purchase. It just looks different then the ones out now and it may be to it being older. So keep, or fork out an extra 100, or switch to the smaller 600?

What you have should do just fine. It has the non PID controller. I have 2 with that same controller. The PID controller is made to keep a consistent temp and the old ones swing but I haven't had an issue where the swings cause me to worry. Entirely up to you. Once the grill is seasoned after a few cooks food will taste even better. Search YouTube for your model and watch videos on what people are doing with theirs.

I just bought a Pit Boss 820 (not pro) from Lowes for $398. My question is, will I be satisfied with this grill or should I go and opt for a pro version 850 or even the pro 600? I won't be having all kinds of people to cook for. Maybe 5-8 tops, but mostly 2 and my 2 daughters who don't really count because it isn't ice cream. WiFi isn't a huge deal but I know it has its perks. I haven't even taken it out of the back of the truck and I am second guessing my purchase. It just looks different then the ones out now and it may be to it being older. So keep, or fork out an extra 100, or switch to the smaller 600?
I have an 820 for 2 years and have smoked 5 racks of ribs no problem that fed about 12 people. I don't need all the bells and whistles, less stuff to break. From our facebook group there are a lot of complaints on the larger ones taking up to 45 minutes to reach temp, the 820 does it in 10-15 minutes. I'll keep my 820.

I have an 820 pro. I wouldn't want smaller.

my .02 of advice is get a good grill probe thermometer, or two and monitor the temps with that.

ribs ( 3,2,1) style or tri-tip slow with a reverse sear, or mesquite smoked chicken are all good.

How much more $$ for the pro? what are the feature differences?

Latest Discussions

Back