what's your favorite pellet and why

Done 4 cooks now with the Sam's club smokehouse pellets and they are my new favorite

Using the Walmart Expert Grill pellets today. They smoke ok but in my smoke tube there were a bunch that didn't burn. I'll try out the taste when the ribs are done.

I had the same issue Mike, some pellets did not burn inside the smoke tube.
I only use those now for a little smoke on the gas grill just to use them up.

Has anyone used the Kingsford Pellets?
I picked up a bag of the Hickory yesterday because it says 100 % Hickory instead of a blend.
I keep looking for the Pit Boss brand that are not blends but straight Hickory or Mesquite etc.
Grabbed a bag of Apple not the Apple blend at Walmart.
I wish Pit Boss would list the woods they use in their blends like some do, I don't mind blends with Oak but I don't want Alder so I wish they would say exactly what is in the blend.

Used some Kingsford hickory pellets the last couple weekends and they are great.
mixed 2 -1 ratio Kingsford Hickory and PB Apple pellets yesterday and did some baby back racks.
Asian inspired with Rib Ninja Rub and finished with Mango Habanero Glaze, a little green onion and sesame seeds, (honey, Brn, sugar etc.)
these were sweet, spicy and delish!
you get a touch of apple pie scent mixed into the smoke with this blend.
when I buy Pit Boss pellets I look for the ones that are not blends, getting harder to find but I get lucky some times at Walmart.

Well. Being new I’ve just began my search. So far I’ve used pit boss apple, hickory and traeger hickory and mesquite.
none are my favorite but the Pb hickory has done the best. I’ve got some bear mountain to try and want to try the kingsford and lumberjack. Oh. The jack daniels as well.
love the cooker but got to find my pellet. It’s pretty cool to just roll it out of the garage and be cooking in no time. And the temp control is unreal. Wait! This is about favorite pellets. Uh. Ain’t found it yet. Lol. But thanks to all for the info I’m getting in here. Think I’ll cook again tomorrow if rain holds off. Lol.

I tried to use up my leftover Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend pellets last weekend and I had to stop and change them out again.
I have had nothing but bad luck with these pellets, will not buy again! no smoke even from the tube and the tube always stops burning with these.
But their oak were great.
I wish I could find some good oak pellets at a good cost.
the cheap ones at Walmart worked better that the Bear Mountain.

I've never had an issue with Bear Mountain. I just opened a bag of oak over the weekend and dumped it in the hopper. Still had some Expert Grill hickory/oak in the bottom so I just dumped the oak on top. So far so good (still have an unopened bag of Bear Mountain Pecan in the shed).

I think next I'll open the bag from Sam's (Smokehouse Blend) I have heard those are really good too so I want to try them out next.

Well. I was going to try the Bear Mountain today but I heard so much about Kingsford I decided to use those in hickory.
Im a bit slow I guess. But most of the ones I’ve used are ‘blends’ I believe. And from what I’ve researched for the most part that ain’t necessarily good. The BM and Kingsford say 100% hickory (on these today ) so I have to imagine they’d taste better?
I will say they smell better. Lol.
emptied the old ones from the hopper and let it burn out most of the ones left in the auger before I put in the Kingsford hickory and baby backs. Also using the 6” tube. I hope I’ve found a favorite. I’m very positive. Lol.

I've never had an issue with Bear Mountain. I just opened a bag of oak over the weekend and dumped it in the hopper. Still had some Expert Grill hickory/oak in the bottom so I just dumped the oak on top. So far so good (still have an unopened bag of Bear Mountain Pecan in the shed).

I think next I'll open the bag from Sam's (Smokehouse Blend) I have heard those are really good too so I want to try them out next.
Mike, I like the Bear Mountain Oak, but I have had two bags of Gourmet Blend and no luck with either.
The Expert Grill Hickory Oak blend has a good smell to it but doesn't burn all the way.
Kingsford Hickory work good. Also Pit Boss Hickory, and Mesquite have been good.
I wish Pit Boss would put the % of blend on their blended flavors. They used to.

Latest Discussions

Back