what's your favorite pellet and why

Anyone notice that the Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets at Lowe's are different than the ones at Walmart?
Lowe's = Hickory, Maple, Cherry
Walmart = Hickory, Maple, Apple
Also, all types I have used (Pit Boss, Weber, Bear Mountain) all come in perforated bags, so they are not really sealed are they?
Just an observation.

Anyone notice that the Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets at Lowe's are different than the ones at Walmart?
Lowe's = Hickory, Maple, Cherry
Walmart = Hickory, Maple, Apple
Also, all types I have used (Pit Boss, Weber, Bear Mountain) all come in perforated bags, so they are not really sealed are they?
Just an observation.
And the charcoal is exclusive for Walmart... ???

I am done with Bear Mountain, the Gourmet blend was terrible, I had to stop in the middle of a cook and remove all the pellets and change to another kind, these produce almost no smoke, not even through the smoke tube.
Anyone else have this problem with Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend??
I get good smoke from all other pellets I have used except these.

I have used the Gourmet Blend several times and have never had a problem with them not smoking. Currently I have the Bold Blend in my smoker. Have never had a problem out of any of their pellets. perhaps you got a bad bag? maybe contact them. Who knows they may send a free bag of something else.

I have used the Gourmet Blend several times and have never had a problem with them not smoking. Currently I have the Bold Blend in my smoker. Have never had a problem out of any of their pellets. perhaps you got a bad bag? maybe contact them. Who knows they may send a free bag of something else.
yeah Mike, I contacted them about it and they said probably a bad batch, they did send me a new bag and I had the same problem with them as well. Two cooks with those pellets had to be stopped to swap out the pellets to something else. I did a test with the smoke tube while not cooking and I got very little smoke, sometimes I thought it stopped burning but no.
So I threw the rest out, maybe coincident but two bags in a row I don't know what to say.
I did like their oak pellets but the gourmet blend and my smoker do not get along.
I have been using a variety of Pit Boss, Weber, Jack Daniels and not a problem with any of them.
Who knows?

Using the gourmet blend today and no issues that's weird.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_132353034.jpg
    IMG_20210403_132353034.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 38
I'm kinda surprised by the comments regarding some pellets not generating a lot of smoke. Coming from years of smoking meats, the one thing you never do is generate visible smoke. Or at last keep it to a minimum. Too much smoke = creosote taste. But whatever.

As for the pellets, I vote for B&B. My experience with B&B has been most consistent temps and good flavor. I use, depending on the meat or mood, oak, hickory, and pecan. Occasionally, apple. Using B&B in a Pit Boss pro Series 1100, for reference.

I tried the Expert Grill brand pellets at Walmart and did not have good luck with them, they were cheap ($6.88 for 20 lbs.) and you get what you pay for.
The pellets are Hickory Oak blend which is fine for me but they did not produce much smoke at all, not even in the smoke tube, also they were kinda crumbly, I did screen them to get out the dust and crumbs but they did not work for me so I stopped the cook and changed out the pellets to Pit Boss Hickory which did work good.

I tried the Expert Grill brand pellets at Walmart and did not have good luck with them, they were cheap ($6.88 for 20 lbs.) and you get what you pay for.
The pellets are Hickory Oak blend which is fine for me but they did not produce much smoke at all, not even in the smoke tube, also they were kinda crumbly, I did screen them to get out the dust and crumbs but they did not work for me so I stopped the cook and changed out the pellets to Pit Boss Hickory which did work good.
I have a bag of those too but haven't opened it yet. Hope they turn out ok. I figured for 7 bucks I wouldn't be out much if they weren't any good. Used Bear Mountain Savory Blend yesterday. Still have 3 unopened bags of various pellets in the shed. Maybe I'll try Expert Grill next.

Saw, for the first time this weekend, a bag of Kingsford pellets. I didn't know they were in the game. Bag indicated "100% Hickory" hardwood.

Anyone have any feedback using Kingsford pellets?

Saw, for the first time this weekend, a bag of Kingsford pellets. I didn't know they were in the game. Bag indicated "100% Hickory" hardwood.

Anyone have any feedback using Kingsford pellets?
Wondering the same. Actually 100% hickory???

I’ve been burning BM GB with no problems, no trash, good smoke and good taste. Rural King special @ $4-$5 for 20#. Needless to say, I “stocked up”. Sometimes I’ll mix in some LJ Char hickory or hickory. L2R- BM GB(darker brown and slightly larger than LJ)LJ char hickory(dark grey), LJ hickory(best flavor IMO of course).
image.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back