What's your cleaning process

Chansy

Reaction score
I am a new owner of a PBV4PS1. I have used it several times and am happy with it. I have been cleaning it the next day after a smoke with Fantastic and a lot of papoer towels. Most of the stuff comes off but it is a lot of work. Since I am lazy on a good day, is there a better way to get the job done?

Chancy

For a degreaser I use the one they sell at the dollar store, Oven and Grill cleaner/degreaser.
cheap and it works better than anything else I have tried.

I have the same smoker. After a smoke, I'll raise the temperature to 400 deg and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes and then shut it off. Once it is cooled I use paper towel and windex on the glass and temperature sensor. Grates I use a plastic brush on them, tougher stuff I use a plastic putty knife. Heat deflector plate I use a plastic putty knife if it needs cleaning. Water pan I line with aluminum foil so I don't have to clean it. Fire pot gets emptied every time once it is cold. It's really simple to maintain.
Watch pit masters on tv, I never saw one with a spotless clean smoker, all caked with crud and grease.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/products/product-page.las-awesome-cleaner.html

This stuff works great and only a dollar a bottle.
las-totally-awesome-degreaser-is-best-for-mechanics-21741466.jpg

I have the same smoker. After a smoke, I'll raise the temperature to 400 deg and let it sit there for 15-20 minutes and then shut it off. Once it is cooled I use paper towel and windex on the glass and temperature sensor. Grates I use a plastic brush on them, tougher stuff I use a plastic putty knife. Heat deflector plate I use a plastic putty knife if it needs cleaning. Water pan I line with aluminum foil so I don't have to clean it. Fire pot gets emptied every time once it is cold. It's really simple to maintain.
Watch pit masters on tv, I never saw one with a spotless clean smoker, all caked with crud and grease.
There are videos out there that make me question eating off other peoples offsets ever again... 🤢🤮

I am a new owner of a PBV4PS1. I have used it several times and am happy with it. I have been cleaning it the next day after a smoke with Fantastic and a lot of papoer towels. Most of the stuff comes off but it is a lot of work. Since I am lazy on a good day, is there a better way to get the job done?

Chancy
I use white vinegar and then go over everything with Dawn and a sponge with the scrubby inside and then I go over it with plain water and dry it out and it works fantastic I don’t want to use any chemicals that would not be good to mix with food try white vinegar and Dawn soap with water not mixed

I don’t clean with soap, I’ll do a once over with a rag with vinegar and water and I’ll use a razor blade on the glass to clean that. It’s a grill, you aren’t supposed to have it spotless.

Let me be more specific, you don't want to remove the natural protective coating that the oils give to the metal. Using soap and degreasers do exactly that, which can cause rust. Not to mention the cleaners chemicals and crap, you don't want that being heated up and smoked with your food.

You want to remove ash, grease, and food particles. That is easily done with simple stuff, like a rag, water/vinigar to cut through heavy grease, and scrapper (razor for glass or plastic for metal). In the end you don't want moisture to be retained...otherwise the heat is high enough to kill bacteria anyway...having it cleaned out with soap or other grill cleaners seems just silly to me.

Just from personal experience, I once used those cleaners and i swear i could taste it in the food. I thought i did a good job cleaning, it looked brand new. I even made sure to do a dry run to burn off the stuff...but even so...i would never do it again.

Let me be more specific, you don't want to remove the natural protective coating that the oils give to the metal. Using soap and degreasers do exactly that, which can cause rust. Not to mention the cleaners chemicals and crap, you don't want that being heated up and smoked with your food.

You want to remove ash, grease, and food particles. That is easily done with simple stuff, like a rag, water/vinigar to cut through heavy grease, and scrapper (razor for glass or plastic for metal). In the end you don't want moisture to be retained...otherwise the heat is high enough to kill bacteria anyway...having it cleaned out with soap or other grill cleaners seems just silly to me.

Just from personal experience, I once used those cleaners and i swear i could taste it in the food. I thought i did a good job cleaning, it looked brand new. I even made sure to do a dry run to burn off the stuff...but even so...i would never do it again.
I agree

Chancy
I got the Laredo 1000 this summer. New to smoking. Was cleaning after almost every use. Lately I’ve started using copper grill mats. LOVE IT. Really saves ion the cleaning and I’m getting great results with my meat. Try it !

Attachments

• 462D0578-6468-46F8-83A2-60FC06EAAC0B.jpeg
    462D0578-6468-46F8-83A2-60FC06EAAC0B.jpeg
    307.6 KB · Views: 57
  • BD6E35E8-31CB-45E8-9DEE-0C32BCB96C19.jpeg
    BD6E35E8-31CB-45E8-9DEE-0C32BCB96C19.jpeg
    242.6 KB · Views: 55
  • C2DBE1E6-5281-4759-A1C2-CEDC7388639A.jpeg
    C2DBE1E6-5281-4759-A1C2-CEDC7388639A.jpeg
    305.1 KB · Views: 56
I got the Laredo 1000 this summer. New to smoking. Was cleaning after almost every use. Lately I’ve started using copper grill mats. LOVE IT. Really saves ion the cleaning and I’m getting great results with my meat. Try it !
i have similar mats i use for fish so it doesn;t stick. Never tried it with ribs tho, ill have to give it a try

I'll scrap off inside the smoker to remove the the build up. Clean the outside with soap & water.

Latest Discussions

Back