What temp for boiling and simmering chili

rick carpenter

Reaction score
I'm going to cook chili over thanksgiving week. I know I'll have to experiment, but what initial temps do I set my Pro 850 so that it will get to a low boil first and then back it down to simmer the chili at about 190-195? The chili will be medium thick, between liquid and oatmeal consistency. Thanks

I'm going to cook chili over thanksgiving week. I know I'll have to experiment, but what initial temps do I set my Pro 850 so that it will get to a low boil first and then back it down to simmer the chili at about 190-195? The chili will be medium thick, between liquid and oatmeal consistency. Thanks
Good morning Rick,
Do you plan on "building" your chili in the "oven" from scratch? My guess is you will put the combined ingredients in to the smoker.
I would suggest starting at 300-350F until chili is hot then backing temp down to 210-225, then gauge the rate of boil/simmer.
When a large pot or roast is placed in a slow oven the internal temp will eventually reach the highest temperature of the oven swing temperatures.
For instance, my prime rib is held for 12 hours at 123F set temp. The oven swing temp ranges as high as 132F and as low as 118F. After 12 hours the roast is very close to the 132F, nice rare.
So a PID controller minimizes the swing, but just something to be aware of. You should get the good simmer at 180F. If you use cast iron dutch oven versus aluminum the aluminum will fluctuate the most.

Latest Discussions

Back