What do you do? (work)

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
I work at a paper mill and have been here 15 years ago. I used to work in radio on-air after I graduated from college and did that for about 18 years. I left radio in 2005 because of the lousy pay and long work hours. Not to mention radio isn't what is used to be. 90% of it is either satellite fed or pre-recorded and every station plays the same 200 songs.

Currently work in the Lab at the mill.

I am in the wood processing business, we make landscape materials mostly. Been doing this since 1983.
When I see the pellet mills it reminds me of what we do here, we make our own wood chips, sawdust and blends of many sizes and colors for decorative ground cover and everything else in the landscape industry. Very similar process as the pellet mills.
Here is a couple vids. of one of our wood grinders and screens in action.

I was a retail store manager with 2 companies for 7 years each. I made a switch to a manufacturing manager about a year and a half ago. Im loving weekends and holidays off, I never had that in retail. I cant wait for the weekends to come now so I can fire up the smoker!!!

I am in the wood processing business, we make landscape materials mostly. Been doing this since 1983.
When I see the pellet mills it reminds me of what we do here, we make our own wood chips, sawdust and blends of many sizes and colors for decorative ground cover and everything else in the landscape industry. Very similar process as the pellet mills.
Here is a couple vids. of one of our wood grinders and screens in action.

View attachment 1097
View attachment 1098
Kind of like what our paper mill does. We take pine trees, debark them and burn the bark for energy. The trees are then made into chips and then into paper (which is essentially cardboard material for boxes).

Retired after almost 43 years in precision machining and other metal related areas. Started my career as an apprentice machinist and went on thru several years as a toolmaker. Owned a couple of small shops and finished the last near 20 years as a manufacturing engineer. these days I love tinkering in my wood shop and also hobby welding. Oh. And stressing over how to get that perfect smoky flavor from a pellet smoker. Lol!

I work at a paper mill and have been here 15 years ago. I used to work in radio on-air after I graduated from college and did that for about 18 years. I left radio in 2005 because of the lousy pay and long work hours. Not to mention radio isn't what is used to be. 90% of it is either satellite fed or pre-recorded and every station plays the same 200 songs.

Currently work in the Lab at the mill.
What do you do in the lab? I was the lead in the environmental lab at our aluminum smelter, which is now curtailed, so I am a 1 man lab now! Hence why I have more time to look up smoking stuff...

What do you do in the lab? I was the lead in the environmental lab at our aluminum smelter, which is now curtailed, so I am a 1 man lab now! Hence why I have more time to look up smoking stuff...
6 years ago we had about 12 people and now we are down to 4. We do testing related to paper. Viscosity testing, burst strength, crush strength (pretty much seeing how much pressure it would take to burst a cardboard box or crush boxes stacked together). There's a ton of paper tests that we do. Also pulp testing (white paper). We make 2 kinds of paper brown and white (brown is used to make cardboard boxes, white is used as absorbent material in diapers, medical pads, maxi pads, etc). I also calibrate a lot of the equipment throughout the mill. With the cut jobs I have my work cut out for me but it pays very well and plenty of overtime. Not to mention one of our coworkers has been out since Jan so we are a man short. Not sure if he will be back because he had a stroke but last I talked to him he was planning on coming back. I hope he does because he has years of experience and a ton of knowledge.

Movement to higher jobs is seniority based and I am 50. Everyone else older than me so nowhere to go but up from here.

A few years ago I worked as archaeologist in the Middle Asia, but I had some health issues and I needed to change my occupation. Now I am a part-time writer and I want to reach more there

Latest Discussions

Back