Welcome to the new Pit Boss Sportsman Forum

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
pitboss-sportsman-grill.png

I would like to welcome Pit Boss Sportsman owner's to the forum with the new section. Here's a little news from the press release:

Introducing the Sportsman Series from Pit Boss – built with passion for outdoor cooking and respect for world-class equipment.

This series proudly offers the largest variety of grills and smokers to meet every sportsman’s needs. Perfect for smoking fish, grilling game, searing steak and more. Embrace the Field to Grill Lifestyle with unique features like:

• Steel folding front shelf
• Integrated hopper-side spice rack and bottle opener
• Stainless steel side shelf with removable tray
• And a matte black finish with orange highlights, sure to be the centerpiece of any outdoor cookout.

With unbeatable 8-in-1 cooking versatility and the robust flavor of 100% all-natural hardwood pellet fuel, the Pit Boss Sportsman Series delivers flavor to power every meal: Smoke, Bake, Braise, Roast, Grill, Barbecue, Char-grill, and of course, Sear…

The external Flame Broiler lever allows complete control of direct heat up to 1000 degrees.

Heavy duty construction, porcelain coated cast iron grates, smoke stack with adjustable chimney cap, temperature range between 180 and 500 degrees, digital control board with meat probes, and more options to cater to your lifestyle needs, means you have all the tools necessary of a true outdoor sportsman.

4 wood pellet grill sizes, 500, 820,1100, and 1000 (featuring a unique lid-view window and front storage cabinets), offer a range of available cooking space for a variety of needs.

The 1230 combination grill offers Dual Fuel technology. Harness the flavor of wood and the convenience of gas with the added 3 burner gas grill on one side, and the wood pellet smoker on the other. The damper lever feeds smoke from the pellet side into the gas side, perfect for cold smoking.

Bring bold wood-fired foods everywhere you venture with the 260 Portable Pellet Grill.
Thanks to its foldable legs, lightweight design and a latching hood, this sportsman provides robust versatility in an innovative compact package.

Go vertical, with the 5 and 7 series Vertical Smokers, offering the largest cooking capacity up to over Eighteen Hundred square inches. Included sausage meat hooks, adjustable cooking racks, and the 55-pound rear access hopper will keep your cook going day and night.

Each unit in the Sportsman Series proudly offers a best in class 5 year warranty for peace of mind.

Ready to throw in the towel. I've done everything it says to do, clean after use, clean probe, clean fire box, Change pellets.... Nothing seems to work. The problem is the temperature swings, typically to the high side on my Sprotsman 820. I can have it set to 350 degrees and it will go up to 480+ degrees, and not just once. I usually have to set the temperature 50 degrees below whatever the recipe calls for and still sometimes that's not enough.
What's my best option? Can I get a replacement controller board?

My wife just bought me a Pit Boss Sportsman for Father’s Day. Been kind of a rodeo for me too trying to figure it out. At first I had crazy temperature changes like the above post, but after using it around 10 times or so now that has leveled out quite a bit better. My biggest problem now is dealing with the direct heat when doing burgers, chicken etc. It’s so hot over the fire it scorches it but off to the side it takes so long to get done it’s tough as nails and all but uneatable. I was nearly to get out my Weber and be done with it, when a friend told me to use the middle grate for any direct heat cooking. That seems to help a lot. These things are a lot harder to grill with than a charcoal grill in my opinion and I still remain a bit skeptical of them which is why I joined this forum. Hoping to learn from the experts here.

My wife just bought me a Pit Boss Sportsman for Father’s Day. Been kind of a rodeo for me too trying to figure it out. At first I had crazy temperature changes like the above post, but after using it around 10 times or so now that has leveled out quite a bit better. My biggest problem now is dealing with the direct heat when doing burgers, chicken etc. It’s so hot over the fire it scorches it but off to the side it takes so long to get done it’s tough as nails and all but uneatable. I was nearly to get out my Weber and be done with it, when a friend told me to use the middle grate for any direct heat cooking. That seems to help a lot. These things are a lot harder to grill with than a charcoal grill in my opinion and I still remain a bit skeptical of them which is why I joined this forum. Hoping to learn from the experts here.

Welcome to the forum @Oldeskool 🍻

Well I discovered one big problem with my temperature swings. My extension cord was bad, even though it will run a light and my drill it would not work right for my grill. Also I learned on here to leave the flame slide shut when grilling and only open it for searing. Now I use mostly the main bottom grate and I am liking my Pitboss Sportsman a lot better.

Back