Weekend Smoke

Smoke1

Reaction score
Did a Pork shoulder this weekend using Ol'hicks pellets. 15 hours smoking at 225 then finish in the oven for 2 hours (start to rain). Pork shoulder did not take on any smoke flavor. Looking for a pellet that produces a good smoke flavor. For those who are using the A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker for more smoke where is the best place to put one if using the Pro 4 vertical smoker?
Thanks

I have the A-Mazen pellet tube and have used it in my vertical. I made the mistake of putting it under the meat and all the fat dripped on the tube. I think it needs to be on the rack below the meat but I would put it where nothing can drip on it. have never heard of Ol'hicks pellets. You will also get a better smoke if you start off around 175 or 200 for a couple of hours. How big of a pork shoulder did you smoke? 15 hours seems like a long time, usually a 8 pounder takes 11 to 12 hours.

I followed this one for my last pork shoulder and it turned out awesome

My pellet tube lasted 6 hours and I used some Jack Daniel's pellets that I have in a small bag. Didn't get any whiskey taste but got a lot of smoke.

I have the A-Mazen pellet tube and have used it in my vertical. I made the mistake of putting it under the meat and all the fat dripped on the tube. I think it needs to be on the rack below the meat but I would put it where nothing can drip on it. have never heard of Ol'hicks pellets. You will also get a better smoke if you start off around 175 or 200 for a couple of hours. How big of a pork shoulder did you smoke? 15 hours seems like a long time, usually a 8 pounder takes 11 to 12 hours.

I followed this one for my last pork shoulder and it turned out awesome

My pellet tube lasted 6 hours and I used some Jack Daniel's pellets that I have in a small bag. Didn't get any whiskey taste but got a lot of smoke.
MikelnFla
Thanks for the reply. Will try starting out with a lower smoke temp. Also will look into the Jack Daniel's pellets. Pork shoulder was 9.5 pound. Had a typo (smoke 11 hrs. in the smoker 2 hours in the oven)

The JD pellets are overprices in my opinion. Someone gave me a 1 pound bag for Christmas and a 1 pound bag really isn't enough to pour into the hopper so I just use them in my tube. Charcoal blend from Walmart is also good, I have used those in the tube as well. Can't go wrong with Pit Boss Competition Blend either.

Bear Mountain has a nice Gourmet Blend that I have used. I got those for my B-Day. My bro in law ordered them on Amazon and sent them to me.

Did a Pork shoulder this weekend using Ol'hicks pellets. 15 hours smoking at 225 then finish in the oven for 2 hours (start to rain). Pork shoulder did not take on any smoke flavor. Looking for a pellet that produces a good smoke flavor. For those who are using the A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker for more smoke where is the best place to put one if using the Pro 4 vertical smoker?
Thanks

The JD pellets are overprices in my opinion. Someone gave me a 1 pound bag for Christmas and a 1 pound bag really isn't enough to pour into the hopper so I just use them in my tube. Charcoal blend from Walmart is also good, I have used those in the tube as well. Can't go wrong with Pit Boss Competition Blend either.

Bear Mountain has a nice Gourmet Blend that I have used. I got those for my B-Day. My bro in law ordered them on Amazon and sent them to me.

I just saw Bear Mountain and tractor supply now I am going to purchase a bag...like I need anymore pellets.

I have used the Pit Boss Competition Blend with ok results. Will give Bear Mountain try.

I just saw Bear Mountain and tractor supply now I am going to purchase a bag...like I need anymore pellets.
Let us know what you think! We have a new tractor supply here in town and I didn't even consider them I will go by there and see what they have. But like you, I need pellets like I need a hole in the head! Also saw Kingsford pellets, several different varieties at Publix. As soon as I finish off some of the ones I have (which will be a while) I will try out Kingsford and check out Tractor supply. Ace carries Traeger pellets but I feel they are just too expensive.

Let us know what you think! We have a new tractor supply here in town and I didn't even consider them I will go by there and see what they have. But like you, I need pellets like I need a hole in the head! Also saw Kingsford pellets, several different varieties at Publix. As soon as I finish off some of the ones I have (which will be a while) I will try out Kingsford and check out Tractor supply. Ace carries Traeger pellets but I feel they are just too expensive.

What??? Kingsford makes Pellets...Mike now your making me stock up on pellets as I am checking my Publix tonight. LOL

Yep, I saw Kingsford Cherry pellets and a bag of Hickory. Winn Dixie had one bag of apple. Curious to try them out myself

I just found out this weekend that Lumber Jack pellets not good on certain pellet grills. The Yoder owners say that Lumber Jack pellets work best on pellet grills that do not use a round pot because the pellets are smaller.

One guy said he kept getting auger and hopper fires with his traeger and he also hear the same from PB owners.

I just found out this weekend that Lumber Jack pellets not good on certain pellet grills. The Yoder owners say that Lumber Jack pellets work best on pellet grills that do not use a round pot because the pellets are smaller.

One guy said he kept getting auger and hopper fires with his traeger and he also hear the same from PB owners.
I have found that Lumber Jack pellets have a better smoke flavor but don’t burn down to a fine ash as the PB brands. Meaning if you don’t clean your pot after every cook , the ash will build up and back up or cause the auger tube to smolder and generate severe smoke that backs up to the pellet hopper. So .. short cooks are okay but for longer cooks use PB pellets and clean vac after every use. Hope that made sense ? Lol.

Latest Discussions

Back