Very little Smoke.

Otek320

Reaction score
Temp maintains well, but does not Produce continuous smoke. I’m using B&B Mesquite pellets. It will produce smoke during its initial power up... and when it dumps a large amount of pellets to increase temp, but then smoke stops a few seconds later... any suggestions?

It all depends on what the setting is on. 225 and lower will produce more smoke. And a pellet smoker will produce less smoke than a stick burner.

Remember you want to have a light thin blue smoke not billowing clouds of smoke you see in the beginning. Sometimes it can be tough to see the clean blue smoke, but as Mike said lower temps will give more smoke than higher. I find after 275 I get little smoke in the chamber

There's very little smoke because these smokers, sadly, are not smokers. I was extremely disappointed after firing my pb400 up. I have used real smokers with the firebox off to the side. They're great but you have to stay with them the whole time, which is why I was excited to get the pellet smoker which you could just set and not have to keep tending the fire. Trouble is, they do not produce smoke, but for a few times through the cooking cycle. They are just low to high temperature out door ovens. I've smoke a few pork butts so far, they look ok, but very little smoke flavor. I'm smoking some eels now, but am using a smoker tube. Now how sad is that, that I have to use a smoker tube in my smoker! I've yet to do ribs, but when I do, if they don't have a smoky taste, I'm counting this a very deceptive product.

There's very little smoke because these smokers, sadly, are not smokers. I was extremely disappointed after firing my pb400 up. I have used real smokers with the firebox off to the side. They're great but you have to stay with them the whole time, which is why I was excited to get the pellet smoker which you could just set and not have to keep tending the fire. Trouble is, they do not produce smoke, but for a few times through the cooking cycle. They are just low to high temperature out door ovens. I've smoke a few pork butts so far, they look ok, but very little smoke flavor. I'm smoking some eels now, but am using a smoker tube. Now how sad is that, that I have to use a smoker tube in my smoker! I've yet to do ribs, but when I do, if they don't have a smoky taste, I'm counting this a very deceptive product.
I think it's more of a "let the buyer beware" then a deception issue.
In my case I'm pretty happy with it. My wife is never been a fan of heavy smoke flavor so when I got this device it suited her well and I like it too. That's without smoke sticks.
I'm getting a good smoke coloring every time I do a cook, and as I said for my wife and I the smoke flavor is fine.
That doesn't mean I don't want to crank it up a notch sometime, and there's an idea or so that don't use smoke sticks that I can try out on my pit boss just as it is to get a more full smoky flavor.

Sorry to say , if you had done your research you would have known that pellet smokers don't have the same flavor as a stick burner. It is definitely not deception.......

I agree with you for there’s not much smoke taste with these cookers or ovens whatever they’re called but they’re not smokers i’ve tried smoke tubes I’ve had a pan with charcoal and junks still not great smoke flavor at all… what I’m gonna do next smoke a pork shoulder on the Weber kettle for two hours and then finish it in the oven the Pitt Boss oven

I agree with you for there’s not much smoke taste with these cookers or ovens whatever they’re called but they’re not smokers i’ve tried smoke tubes I’ve had a pan with charcoal and junks still not great smoke flavor at all… what I’m gonna do next smoke a pork shoulder on the Weber kettle for two hours and then finish it in the oven the Pitt Boss oven
That is wood chunks not JUNKS

I'm happy with my smoker,, if you want more smoke,,,,do your homework or get a smoke tube....what I don't like is my garage smells like a smoker

I tried smoke tubes and it does not give you a true smoky taste…. Everyone’s got their individual taste.. done my homework

I agree with you, just smoked some pork tenderloin and very disappointed in the pit boss smoker, almost no smoke flavor!!!!!!

I agree with you, just smoked some pork tenderloin and very disappointed in the pit boss smoker, almost no smoke flavor!!!!!!
I smoked a brisket on my Weber FOR TWO HOURS THEN FINSH IN Brunswick. CAME OUT RIGHT GOOD ENOUGH SMOKE FLAVOR....

Latest Discussions

Back