vacuuming out the burn pot

turkey

Reaction score
Is there an easier way to access and clean the burn pot? I was considering cutting and hinging the vents covering the broiler, but am concerned about losing the snug fit.

Last edited:
which model? my shopvac gets everything easily on my 820
Classic not sure your understanding my question Would like to be able to vacuum out my burn pot without removing everything other than the grates themselves.
Shop Vac worked great for me
not sure you’re understanding my question would like to access the burn pot without removing anything but the grates.

I too use a shop vac. Even if you had dump device for the burn pot there would still be a lot of ash elsewhere. I like to clean it all before each cook.

Last edited:
I have the KC Combo and all I do is lift the grate out ant it's right there.

Watch "Pellet Grill Hack: Easiest Ash Pot Clean Out on a Pit Boss Pro 1100" on YouTube
Ok. I'm not trying to be nit-picky. That mod is conceptually great, but ended up being very sad for the overall performance of the grill. If all you ever want to do is sear and cook 'fast', then yeah....this is great. that 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap is going to put hotspots all over the middle portion of the cooking area.

Heh. Just take the grates off, lift out the heat shield, and vacuum the bottom of the barrel/firepot/heat reflector off.

Ok. I'm not trying to be nit-picky. That mod is conceptually great, but ended up being very sad for the overall performance of the grill. If all you ever want to do is sear and cook 'fast', then yeah....this is great. that 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap is going to put hotspots all over the middle portion of the cooking area.

Heh. Just take the grates off, lift out the heat shield, and vacuum the bottom of the barrel/firepot/heat reflector off.
Agree, I also just take my apart. It seems like a good mod and didn't take hot spots in to account.

On my Lockhart, I use a 14" long 3/16 rod which I bent at the end (about 1") to stick down through the cooking grates and open searing slide to rotate in the firepot, effectively breaking up the ash and dropping it into the ash pan. It can be done even with hot grates and firepot going.

Is there an easier way to access and clean the burn pot? I was considering cutting and hinging the vents covering the broiler, but am concerned about losing the snug fit.
I use a shop vac. I’d never consider cutting on it

I like the mod but dont do many long smokes so not too much buildup in the ash pot. I like to take advantage and clean all the surfaces when the ash pot needs vacuming and all the components are out.

Attachments

• IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 31

Latest Discussions

Back