Two Newb Questions

deltamark

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm totally new to smoking and recently purchased a Pit Boss Navigator 1230 Pellet / Gas Combo. Had good results on my first two cooks using the smoker side, which included a pork shoulder and chicken thighs.

I tried some St. Louis style ribs this past weekend, placing them near the center of the grill, on the smoker side. The recipe called for a smoker temp. of 275. My temp. settings dial goes from 250 to 300, so I alternated between them every several minutes. After one hour, the rack of ribs on the right was charred black on the bottom. My questions are:

1. Is there a way, maybe using the 1 - 8 "P" settings to get the smoker to 275?
2. I didn't think my ribs would char so quickly. Any idea why that might have happened?

Would appreciate any input.

It really doesn't matter on temps. I normally do my ribs at 250. Just make sure to place them on the grill away from the fire pot. That will keep one side or portion from getting over done.

It really doesn't matter on temps. I normally do my ribs at 250. Just make sure to place them on the grill away from the fire pot. That will keep one side or portion from getting over done.
Sounds like excellent advice. Thanks Mike!

Welcome to the group! Since it is a new grill it probably wouldn't hurt to stick an independent probe in there just to see how far off the grill controller might be.

Edit: Changed would to wouldn't

Last edited:
I do ribs on S for an hour or so then go up to around 230* - 250* I always use foil to cover the broiler plate and never have a problem with one area getting too hot or charring the ribs.
Maybe the foil helps, but I have done some mods to prevent that hot spot over the fire pot and even out the heat.

I do ribs on S for an hour or so then go up to around 230* - 250* I always use foil to cover the broiler plate and never have a problem with one area getting too hot or charring the ribs.
Maybe the foil helps, but I have done some mods to prevent that hot spot over the fire pot and even out the heat.
Thanks for the information, MK. Doesn't the smoke reach the meat through the slots in the broiler plate? I would think that covering that would greatly reduce the amount of smoke.

Thanks for the information, MK. Doesn't the smoke reach the meat through the slots in the broiler plate? I would think that covering that would greatly reduce the amount of smoke.
I never use the sear feature so I changed the slotted sliding plate to a solid sliding plate to keep the ash and heat from coming through those slots. And covering it with foil does not change the amount of smoke, but it makes clean up much easier.

Attachments

• 20210115_191511.jpg
    20210115_191511.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210115_191528.jpg
    20210115_191528.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210115_191547.jpg
    20210115_191547.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 26
so I changed the slotted sliding plate to a solid sliding plate
I don't want to derail the original poster's thread, but have a couple questions:
1. Do you ever reverse sear, and if so what method do you use?
2. Now that you don't use that function do you wish you had purchased a vertical smoker instead?

Thanks, I am still working thru my choices, and every time I think I have made a decision, someone gives me something else to think about.

I don't want to derail the original poster's thread, but have a couple questions:
1. Do you ever reverse sear, and if so what method do you use?
2. Now that you don't use that function do you wish you had purchased a vertical smoker instead?

Thanks, I am still working thru my choices, and every time I think I have made a decision, someone gives me something else to think about.
I have a Weber gas grill that sits next to my Pit Boss so I just fire up the gas grill to sear anything from the smoker.
My wife does not care for smoke flavor so I usually cook on both grills at the same time.
No, I don't wish I had a vertical but I guess they are good for just smoking.

I never use the sear feature so I changed the slotted sliding plate to a solid sliding plate to keep the ash and heat from coming through those slots. And covering it with foil does not change the amount of smoke, but it makes clean up much easier.
Wow, I thought those slots were there to allow smoke to pass through. Totally missed the fact that they were used for searing. That explains it! Next time, I'll try doing the ribs with those closed. Thanks again!

Latest Discussions

Back