Trying new pellets

panzon3

Reaction score
I’m trying new pellets. I apologize that they are not Pitboss but I like to try different products. I do not endorse anything I use, it’s just my backyard cooking that I like to post. I’m trying Post Oak pellets from BB. They smell great. And I’m using KOSMOS Honey Chipotle Killer Bee Rub for my 3 rack of ribs. I will glaze them later with KOSMOS original BBQ sauce. I will post later on the results.

Attachments

• 1F20C79A-B4B6-4137-A0BB-172E60AFCE05.jpeg
    1F20C79A-B4B6-4137-A0BB-172E60AFCE05.jpeg
    377.5 KB · Views: 59
  • A744976F-7E3C-4972-A8D5-2AD1263FE0F0.jpeg
    A744976F-7E3C-4972-A8D5-2AD1263FE0F0.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 174821B2-1616-4E2F-8C8C-2D7CF663F1F3.jpeg
    174821B2-1616-4E2F-8C8C-2D7CF663F1F3.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 56
that is awesome as I am always trying new pellets and do not worry this is not a official Pit Boss site.

Haven't seen BB locally. Been eyeing the Kingsford Pellets I saw at Winn Dixie, will probably pick up a bag as soon as I run thru my bag of Competition blend.

Last edited:
Haven't seen BB locally. Been eyeing the Kingsford Pellets I saw on Winn Dixie, will probably pick up a bag as soon as I run thru my bag of Competition blend.

BB is found at Academy. And I found this one at HEB Grocery. I’ve used BB Competition blend. I really didn’t care for the subtle sweetness it gave. Then I used Pitboss Charcoal. These were really good. Now I’m trying BB Post Oak. I’ll post how they are later

No Academy in these parts of Florida. I think Dave said I could find a different variety at Tractor Supply but I haven't gotten around to venturing over there. Ace has Traeger Pellets but those are way overpriced.

I just realized those are B&B that is all I use now they are the best pellets out there as all the pros use them. I get mine at Academy as well plus I got luck yesterday as I finally was able to get 1000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 rounds of .223, and 1000 rounds of 5.56 Nato. It has been so bone dry on ammo this summer the shortage is killing me.

I just realized those are B&B that is all I use now they are the best pellets out there as all the pros use them. I get mine at Academy as well plus I got luck yesterday as I finally was able to get 1000 rounds of 9mm, 1000 rounds of .223, and 1000 rounds of 5.56 Nato. It has been so bone dry on ammo this summer the shortage is killing me.

same with the ammo. I have plenty of 9mm, .40 cal but not many .223. The BB Post Oak smell great so I will see how they eat. Using the 3-2-1 method on my ribs. I have them wrapped now for about 1 1/2 hour. Almost time to eat

E09E406F-5F95-482A-A822-13A29A68FECC.jpeg

Well this is the final product. The Honey Chipotle is really coming through nicely. And a nice taste of KOSMOS BBQ sauce. The Chipotle heat is really good. The Post Oak pellets were unnoticeable. I was kind of disappointed with this. But the flavor of the rub made up for this big time. I’m gonna try a brisket with these pellets to see if I can really tell a flavor of wood. I will use the smoke tube again. Enjoy

The last two racks I made I wrapped one and left one unwrapped. The one that was unwrapped had more smoke flavor but was less tender. I like heavy smoke flavor so I like those better but my girls like the wrapped ones better as they were very tender. That was the first time I did the 3-2-1 method without actually wrapping the ribs at the end of the 3rd hour and I will probably do it again that way the next time - one wrapped, one unwrapped. The wrapped ribs I used the Cuisinart Maple Bourbon rub then when I wrapped them I added brown sugar, agave and squirted some butter on 'em. The unwrapped I just used the Pit Boss Hickory Bacon rub. Both were excellent.

I seem to get much better smoke from the Pit Boss vertical than I do the grill but I still use both regularly depending on my mood.

The last two racks I made I wrapped one and left one unwrapped. The one that was unwrapped had more smoke flavor but was less tender. I like heavy smoke flavor so I like those better but my girls like the wrapped ones better as they were very tender. That was the first time I did the 3-2-1 method without actually wrapping the ribs at the end of the 3rd hour and I will probably do it again that way the next time - one wrapped, one unwrapped. The wrapped ribs I used the Cuisinart Maple Bourbon rub then when I wrapped them I added brown sugar, agave and squirted some butter on 'em. The unwrapped I just used the Pit Boss Hickory Bacon rub. Both were excellent.

I seem to get much better smoke from the Pit Boss vertical than I do the grill but I still use both regularly depending on my mood.
I’ve always used the 3-2-1 method. And when I wrap I always use a brown sugar and cubes of butter. However this last time I used more of the KOSMOS Honey Chipotle Killer Bee rub when I wrapped them and it made a big difference in the flavor. The other times I made ribs I just wrapped them with brown sugar and butter. The combination of BB Post Oak pellets, KOSMOS rub and a glaze of KOSMOS BBQ sauce was really good. I’m definitely gonna do this again

I’ve always used the 3-2-1 method. And when I wrap I always use a brown sugar and cubes of butter. However this last time I used more of the KOSMOS Honey Chipotle Killer Bee rub when I wrapped them and it made a big difference in the flavor. The other times I made ribs I just wrapped them with brown sugar and butter. The combination of BB Post Oak pellets, KOSMOS rub and a glaze of KOSMOS BBQ sauce was really good. I’m definitely gonna do this again
I'm going to have to remember this next time I do ribs. I have never put anything on when I wrap.

I'm going to have to remember this next time I do ribs. I have never put anything on when I wrap.
It does help to re season when you wrap. Just not real heavy. A light to medium dusting kicks the flavor up a notch

Here's a video I made, if you don't want to watch the whole thing FF to 2:25 or so where I wrap the ribs. I do different things. For example, in this video I didn't add extra rub only butter and apple juice. The ribs I did over the weekend I added brown sugar, agave and used squeezable Parkay.

Picked up some Kingsford pellets today. Will give them a try on thick pork chops

Attachments

• IMG_20200815_083311056_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200815_083311056_HDR.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 24
great to hear you found ammo. it is hard to come by here in miami. in the sizes you bought.

Latest Discussions

Back