Trying a Sous Vide Pork Shoulder

I know this might be sacrilege -- but, I'm trying it anyway. :) I have in right now -- will cook it for 48 hours -- ice bath, then in to the smoker.

That's the plan anyway. :)
Please keep us updated

IMG20220709153432.jpg
IMG20220710064636.jpg

IMG20220710081841.jpg
IMG20220710133508.jpg

Top left is my fancy pants sous vide get up.
Top right is when I pulled it out of the water bath. I put it in an ice bath to prep it for smoking.
Bottom left - out of the bag. Rerubbed it and put it in the smoker @ 275. I don't think I cooled it enough -- it only took three hours to get to 160.
It's in the pan, wrapped and resting. We'll see how it tastes in a few hours.

Amazing how ugly it is when coming out of bag isn't it. My family turned their nose up and made gagging motions first time I used it. I tossed steaks on grill and used my big weed torch to sear. After that they would ask for it. LoL
Yeah - my wife crinkled her nose at the steaks. Now, that's the only way she cooks them. I did a pork loin once -- left it in too long -- turned it in to pork pudding.

Okay, my daughter got me a nice sous vide set up a few years ago and yes, it does make awesome beef and pork - IF - you have a good method to sear it properly.

But however, after 48 hours in the bag and then however long on the smoker... is sous vide really make that much of a difference to make it worth the extra time and effort? I'm on the fence, but am open to ideas about what's so great about it.

Okay, my daughter got me a nice sous vide set up a few years ago and yes, it does make awesome beef and pork - IF - you have a good method to sear it properly.

But however, after 48 hours in the bag and then however long on the smoker... is sous vide really make that much of a difference to make it worth the extra time and effort? I'm on the fence, but am open to ideas about what's so great about it.
In the sous vide, anything in the bag with it has 48 hours to work in to the meat. Also, there is zero "tending to". No spritzing -- no checking. No overcooking -- at least while it's in the water bath. I think the biggest thing is time management -- I know I only have a few hours in the smoker. I'm not starting from zero.

It really wasn't much more time or effort -- bagging it and throwing it in the water - then let her rip.

Frankly, it felt like cheating. This was my first smoke on Bear Mountain - so I would have to do two - one each way to compare the flavor. I can see this as a real time saver if making ALOT of pork shoulder. Will I do it again -- maybe? Obviously, it takes some planning -- many times I walk by the meat dept and grab something to make for the next day. This wouldn't work.

I really prefer less cook and slice it, rather than pulled -- I'm in the minority in the house.

Had the same thoughs as yours but all in all experimenting on the kitchen can be fun and relaxing. Sous vide can save your time especially if you have a big family and you need to keep your products fresh.

Had the same thoughs as yours but all in all experimenting on the kitchen can be fun and relaxing. Sous vide can save your time especially if you have a big family and you need to keep your products fresh.
True -- the grand majority of the time is passive.

Latest Discussions

Back