TOO MUCH ASH

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about you all but after a 3 to 5 hour smoke I have to vacuum out the fire pot cause it fills with ash up to the igniter on the longer 5 hour smoke it fills to the auger tube.
I use Pit Boss pellets for now but I think that is a lot of ash. Also I get ash and tiny sparks at times sneaking thru the slide burner thing.
any thoughts?

I don't know about you all but after a 3 to 5 hour smoke I have to vacuum out the fire pot cause it fills with ash up to the igniter on the longer 5 hour smoke it fills to the auger tube.
I use Pit Boss pellets for now but I think that is a lot of ash. Also I get ash and tiny sparks at times sneaking thru the slide burner thing.
any thoughts?
I get the same on My Pit Boss Pro Seires 1100 and my Yoder s640 it depends on the pellets on a 5 - 8 hour cook. Lumber Jack pellets produce a lot more ash to me than PB pellets, but I am not sure which PB pellets you are using.

One day I had my pellet grill running without the grates and plate to watch the pellet burns and notice small sparks coming from it. To me it look like some pellets were popping when burning.

I get the same on My Pit Boss Pro Seires 1100 and my Yoder s640 it depends on the pellets on a 5 - 8 hour cook. Lumber Jack pellets produce a lot more ash to me than PB pellets, but I am not sure which PB pellets you are using.

One day I had my pellet grill running without the grates and plate to watch the pellet burns and notice small sparks coming from it. To me it look like some pellets were popping when burning.
I am using Pit Boss Hickory and now Pit Boss Mesquite, only PB brand for now, I did pick up some of the Weber on clearance at Lowe's
will try them out.
I want to do a long cook like a brisket but with that much ash build up it will flame out so I don't think it would be safe.
I also don't think I can leave it on without being there for safety reasons, I have seen the videos of these things blowing up after a flame out! very scary! I don't want to burn anything down, like old house!

I am using Pit Boss Hickory and now Pit Boss Mesquite, only PB brand for now, I did pick up some of the Weber on clearance at Lowe's
will try them out.
I want to do a long cook like a brisket but with that much ash build up it will flame out so I don't think it would be safe.
I also don't think I can leave it on without being there for safety reasons, I have seen the videos of these things blowing up after a flame out! very scary! I don't want to burn anything down, like old house!
I am with you I never leave my grill.

I have the KC Combo with the ash clean brush that's a joke. I have been using a long thin rod to help push the ash into the clean out.

Another thing on the ash build up, that's only after burning about 5 lbs or less pellets. I fill the 20 lb hopper and when done it's still 3/4 full.

I am not sure who Pit Boss uses to manufacture there pellets. Are you using the competition blend?

I am not sure who Pit Boss uses to manufacture there pellets. Are you using the competition blend?
No, I used Hickory and Mesquite so far.
I know they are blended with 60% Oak, but I like Oak. And Oak burns clean.

I've done many long cooks (12 or 14 hours) on my small PB 340. Have not had an issue with ash while doing a long cook on it. I'll usually vacuum it out later in the evening. Have done even longer cooks on the vertical and it hold 45 pounds of pellets and claims it can smoke for 24 hours or more (have never tried it because I don't want to be asleep in case something were to happen).

Long cooks produce a lot of ash that is no doubt, but I have never had a flame out.

I have the KC Combo with the ash clean brush that's a joke. I have been using a long thin rod to help push the ash into the clean out.
I agree with the ash cleaning brush. it seems if they had made the bristles just a fraction of an inch longer it would work like intended. Currently I pull the plate off and vacuum it out after every 2 uses.

Latest Discussions

Back