Too dang hot

I noticed your P setting is on 2 (at least that is what it looks like). The lower the P setting the hotter it will run but it should not run 510 in smoke mode. Turn the P setting to 4 or 5. Take out the heat grid/plat and watch and see what it does. See if it is continuously feeding pellets. Might be a bad temp probe (which is what mine did a few weeks ago, had it in smoke and got over 500 and gave me the ErH code and they are sending a replacement). Luckily I have 2 Pit Boss's so while the grill is down I have been using the vertical smoker.

Thanks for the info Mike. I moved it to P2, because I misunderstood the P-setting chart I read in the manual, and thought the lower the P# the less run time (it's actually the less of the wait time between runs cycles).

I do agree that it shouldn't have gotten that high of temp, either way, but I can't exactly prove it (to a point that they will send me hardware) until I use it correctly :D

I'll have to crayola myself in for another smoke session this week, to "test" it out.

Thanks for the info guys,
JT

I'm having the same issues (I think). I've had an Austin XL for a little over a week.

Did initial burn in on the first Saturday, a smoke/cook of Chicken Breasts and some Brats on that Sunday (the thing seemed to be running hotter than I had it set to, so everything cooked quick).

Shop vac'd it completely out, and tried to do a Smoked Queso and some Brats on Saturday (yesterday), but thing thing got to 510+ degrees on the controller with the dial on Smoke & P2. That cook was flat rolling.

Tried another smoke/cook today, with some burgers, and same temp issues (I shop vac'd it out again, prior to cooking).

Any hints?

FYI, I also cleaned off the temp probe each time I shop vac'd the unit (both the probe on the lid, and the one inside on the left, near the side wall).

View attachment 133

The P Setting the lower you go the hotter and less smoke basically you are getting no smoke. Leave at P4 and let it smoke do not even adjust it. If you want to get more creative then purchase an aftermarket PID controller.

The P Setting the lower you go the hotter and less smoke basically you are getting no smoke. Leave at P4 and let it smoke do not even adjust it. If you want to get more creative then purchase an aftermarket PID controller.
Ya. Realize that now. I still need to do some testing, as it was even about 390 on P4 (which is why I let it all cool down, cleaned it out, and started over, on P2, on the previous tests).

Just picked up some meats, so I will be trying it in the next day or so, as long as the weather holds out.
Going to do a P5 Smoke on a 2.95lb marinated Pork Butt.

I'm going to go write "P means auger Pause" on the inside of my owner's manual. That way I can remember that a lower P means less pause between the feeds. The feeds are 18 seconds, and with a 2 rpm motor, that means each 18 second of feed time is 60% of a full revolution.

While searching for "The meaning of life, the universe, and P settings" I came across this post. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/temp-time-charts-p0-p7-for-my-pit-boss-820d.276325/ It has pretty pictures.

I'm going to go write "P means auger Pause" on the inside of my owner's manual. That way I can remember that a lower P means less pause between the feeds. The feeds are 18 seconds, and with a 2 rpm motor, that means each 18 second of feed time is 60% of a full revolution.

While searching for "The meaning of life, the universe, and P settings" I came across this post. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/temp-time-charts-p0-p7-for-my-pit-boss-820d.276325/ It has pretty pictures.

TBH I have tried P5 and P6 saw a minor change and I mean minor. I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but a PID controller is far more superior when it comes to smoking and although Pit Boss has done there job with the controller they have, but it is old school. Everyone is getting on the PID controller wagon and the only reason I bought a PB is the grill designed and size not the controller that is for sure. You can buy the exact same controller on the Pro Series, Austin, Sportsman, and Navigator for $20 from China.

I have a after market PID controller my 1100 is now a true pro series grill in my opinion, but Pit Boss is moving to a PID for these grills so we will see.

I'm having the same issues (I think). I've had an Austin XL for a little over a week.

Did initial burn in on the first Saturday, a smoke/cook of Chicken Breasts and some Brats on that Sunday (the thing seemed to be running hotter than I had it set to, so everything cooked quick).

Shop vac'd it completely out, and tried to do a Smoked Queso and some Brats on Saturday (yesterday), but thing thing got to 510+ degrees on the controller with the dial on Smoke & P2. That cook was flat rolling.

Tried another smoke/cook today, with some burgers, and same temp issues (I shop vac'd it out again, prior to cooking).

Any hints?

FYI, I also cleaned off the temp probe each time I shop vac'd the unit (both the probe on the lid, and the one inside on the left, near the side wall).

View attachment 133
If your Austin XL is like mine look at where the Flame Broiler plate sits on the 2 ears is the place where the Broiler plate sits flat or round if it is flat then there is a small gap between the broiler plate and where the plate sits .Now this gap allows heat to directly hit the temperature probe causing uneven heating.There is a fix ,just join this group PitBoss Pellet grill/Pellet Smoker Owners one of the moderators of that group has a fix,I bought one and my Austin XL is cooking near flawlessly.One thing as well and PitBoss CS will tell you to remove the diffuser plate.This is what the fix looks like

20200222_170049.jpg

My experience. I read this post after my PBV4PS2 blew through the 350 it was set for during initial burn off. Smoke billowed out of the thing and the temp pushed past 400. Turns out the auger and fan connections were swapped. At the connectors I verified yellow to yellow and red to red, but if I quickly turned it on and off to trigger cool down (fan running but auger off) the fan stopped and auger kept going. I swapped the connections (yellow to red and red to yellow) and did the same thing. This time the auger stopped and fan continued as expected. I ran a test by setting it at a few different temps and watched it adjust and settle in. It's frustrating to have such a simple wiring setup be connected backwards from the factory.

Have replaced the controller 4 times, the heat sensor inside the grill 3 times. Cooks good 2 or 3 times after this is changed. Then the heats are all over the place again. Customer service has been nice and concerned, which is what they are supposed to do. that is nice and genuine, but what about a true fix for this $600.00 smoker that hasn't been used two dozen times without heating issues in the 4 years that I have owned it. The warranty will be over soon, I guess then I'll get no support and make a flower box out of it. this has a very big disappointment, as this has the most useless and the most aggravating experience that I have ever had. wish I knew then what I know now. Am not a satisfied customer, and fell that I got took advantage of by this not being covered by warranty and not having this problem resoled by customer service. This warranty sure seems to benefit the company more than the customer. So if you see me looking at smokers in the garden center, you can depend on getting a honest review from me.

Latest Discussions

Back