Too dang hot

Kuyleh04

Reaction score
So I bought a PB1000t2 yesterday, messing around with it today and something it off. I did the initial burn in at 450* per the manual, temp on the hood exceeded 600* and the controller was still cranking in pellets when it was reading over 550*. I thought it was too hot so I turned the dial to off and let it cool down. The paint in the bottom is all burnt and flakes off with the blower on.
So let it cool down and tried it at 300*f, as per the manual. After 30minutes temps were in excess of 500* on the controller and hood - again let it cool down. I tried it with the diffuser plate out and I got better results it hovered around 450* while on the 300* setting. Lastly I tried to run the smoke setting, after an hour temps went from 300 to 275* but never got cooler and I didn't get much if any smoke.

Is this normal? I've burned 10 pounds of pellets testing - seems odd. I didn't see in the manual to soak the pellets but I'm wondering if that would allow the burn rate down. I live in the desert and it's 108* outside and dry as a bone - I'm wondering if that's causing the controller to run a muck.

Been on hold with customer support for almost 2 hours.

No that isn't normal I would call customer support. you might be on hold for a while but they can probably help.

So I bought a PB1000t2 yesterday, messing around with it today and something it off. I did the initial burn in at 450* per the manual, temp on the hood exceeded 600* and the controller was still cranking in pellets when it was reading over 550*. I thought it was too hot so I turned the dial to off and let it cool down. The paint in the bottom is all burnt and flakes off with the blower on.
So let it cool down and tried it at 300*f, as per the manual. After 30minutes temps were in excess of 500* on the controller and hood - again let it cool down. I tried it with the diffuser plate out and I got better results it hovered around 450* while on the 300* setting. Lastly I tried to run the smoke setting, after an hour temps went from 300 to 275* but never got cooler and I didn't get much if any smoke.

Is this normal? I've burned 10 pounds of pellets testing - seems odd. I didn't see in the manual to soak the pellets but I'm wondering if that would allow the burn rate down. I live in the desert and it's 108* outside and dry as a bone - I'm wondering if that's causing the controller to run a muck.

Did you have any luck?

I am having the same problem with my 1000. I have replaced the grill probe as well as the control panel. The new control panel helped but I set it to 200 and the control panel read 235 while 2 separate probes (dome probe and a 3rd party thermometer) read 275. I'm going to call customer service when they are open next to see next options.

Definitely get ahold of customer service. It seems like you are feeding way too many pellets into the burn pot. Could it be that the control panel is telling the fan to run, but that cable is hooked up to the auger instead of the fan?

The outside temp can play a role in it, but not to that extreme. 1. The controller is not PID controller so the fan will always stay on as the controller controls the pellets.
Definitely get ahold of customer service. It seems like you are feeding way too many pellets into the burn pot. Could it be that the control panel is telling the fan to run, but that cable is hooked up to the auger instead of the fan?

the connections are completely

The outside temp does play a role in it, but not to that extreme. The hood temp gauge just ignore it for now since those are crappy in the first place as I would not focus on that one.

Do this remove of the ash from the pot and let start the grill over. If you have chimney stack make sure there is a 1.5 inch gap between the cap and the pipe and make sure the grill is on a level surface. Fill the hopper up and do the start up process by setting to smoke and leave the lid open.

With an empty pot you can hear the pellets falling into the pot and wait till the smokes start coming up and then when you hear the fan and roar of the flame make sure the smoke as stopped. Now close the lid and do not change the setting yet let sit at smoke for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes set the temp to 350 and then let it run for 15 - 20 minutes and then check the temp on the controller. The hood temp I am not worried about you have to remember the controller is not a PID controller you going to have 1 -25 degree swings at any point during your cook.

Now you should see the temp to start to settle down and get to 350 and it may drop to 348 and may jump to 375, but it will not remain at 375 for long it will drop this is due to the auger controlling the temp not the fan.

Now after all this and you are seeing a temp reading on the controller like 475 to 500 then the controller or the RTD Grill probe is bad. Now for the paint peeling around the firebox mine did the same it does not effect the grill at all.

It seems based on the last 4 weeks of new Pit Boss owners I am seeing a high number of issues with the grills and I am worried since these grills are made in China that they rushed the manufacturing to keep up with the demand and ignore quality control.

I was told that there customer service is now back to normal staff, but they are dealing with high number of cases and product issues.

I'm wondering if his auger is spinning the entire time, and the fan is being controlled. I thought I read that someone called support, and they had them swap the connections, and that fixed things. But I cannot find the link to that right now, so treat this as hearsay.

I'm wondering if his auger is spinning the entire time, and the fan is being controlled. I thought I read that someone called support, and they had them swap the connections, and that fixed things. But I cannot find the link to that right now, so treat this as hearsay.

That would make the fan pulsate which then cause the fire pot to smolder let alone burn. There is a quality control issues going on with these controllers right now as there are too many issues that are experiencing the same problem.

I’m in the exact same situation. Please update what customer service recommended. I just got my grill for Father’s Day. I did the burn off, cooked one meal with the temp issues thinking it might have been to my inexperienced use of a pellet grill but then had a worse issue tonight. The temp would not stabilize and was over 100 degrees hotter than it was set at.

I’m in the exact same situation. Please update what customer service recommended. I just got my grill for Father’s Day. I did the burn off, cooked one meal with the temp issues thinking it might have been to my inexperienced use of a pellet grill but then had a worse issue tonight. The temp would not stabilize and was over 100 degrees hotter than
31CE9A75-A9EA-4A58-8AF3-030924B6D0C0.jpeg

Yeah 485 is too hot, not sure why these do that. Call Pit Boss and leave a call back number. If you call in the morning hours they are more likely to call back within a few hours.

I’m in the exact same situation. Please update what customer service recommended. I just got my grill for Father’s Day. I did the burn off, cooked one meal with the temp issues thinking it might have been to my inexperienced use of a pellet grill but then had a worse issue tonight. The temp would not stabilize and was over 100 degrees hotter than it was set at.

Do not call customer service because they are going to ask you to do what I am asking you to do before they will send out any parts.

Do this remove of the ash from the pot and let start the grill over. If you have chimney stack make sure there is a 1.5 inch gap between the cap and the pipe and make sure the grill is on a level surface. Fill the hopper up and do the start up process by setting to smoke and leave the lid open.

With an empty pot you can hear the pellets falling into the pot and wait till the smokes start coming up and then when you hear the fan and roar of the flame make sure the smoke as stopped. Now close the lid and do not change the setting yet let sit at smoke for 5 minutes.

After 5 minutes set the temp to 350 and then let it run for 15 - 20 minutes and then check the temp on the controller. The hood temp I am not worried about you have to remember the controller is not a PID controller you going to have 1 -25 degree swings at any point during your cook.

Now you should see the temp to start to settle down and get to 350 and it may drop to 348 and may jump to 375, but it will not remain at 375 for long it will drop this is due to the auger controlling the temp not the fan.

Now after all this and you are seeing a temp reading on the controller like 475 to 500 then the controller or the RTD Grill probe is bad. Now for the paint peeling around the firebox mine did the same it does not effect the grill at all.

I'm having the same issues (I think). I've had an Austin XL for a little over a week.

Did initial burn in on the first Saturday, a smoke/cook of Chicken Breasts and some Brats on that Sunday (the thing seemed to be running hotter than I had it set to, so everything cooked quick).

Shop vac'd it completely out, and tried to do a Smoked Queso and some Brats on Saturday (yesterday), but thing thing got to 510+ degrees on the controller with the dial on Smoke & P2. That cook was flat rolling.

Tried another smoke/cook today, with some burgers, and same temp issues (I shop vac'd it out again, prior to cooking).

Any hints?

FYI, I also cleaned off the temp probe each time I shop vac'd the unit (both the probe on the lid, and the one inside on the left, near the side wall).

20200620_134208.jpg

I noticed your P setting is on 2 (at least that is what it looks like). The lower the P setting the hotter it will run but it should not run 510 in smoke mode. Turn the P setting to 4 or 5. Take out the heat grid/plat and watch and see what it does. See if it is continuously feeding pellets. Might be a bad temp probe (which is what mine did a few weeks ago, had it in smoke and got over 500 and gave me the ErH code and they are sending a replacement). Luckily I have 2 Pit Boss's so while the grill is down I have been using the vertical smoker.

Latest Discussions

Back