Thought on Meater….I’m pretty pissed….

Dab_Smoke_810

Reaction score
I’ve had my smokers month pit boss 1600 comp
Had the Meater a month and a half it’s fails twice on ‘long cooks’ the most recent one was a brisket went 16 hours died fuckin 10 hours in and yes it was sitting in the block long before I used it….I’m over Meater and there half rate products Traeger owns them as well another dislike I hate there pellets ….also the connectivity is horrible I’m 10 ft away from my grill I can see my gril with my door open and it losses connectivity waste pf
Money ….

So I got the meat stick Wi-Fi pro bundle on the way seems better quality seen a lot of good vids on it also

I’ve had my smokers month pit boss 1600 comp
Had the Meater a month and a half it’s fails twice on ‘long cooks’ the most recent one was a brisket went 16 hours died fuckin 10 hours in and yes it was sitting in the block long before I used it….I’m over Meater and there half rate products Traeger owns them as well another dislike I hate there pellets ….also the connectivity is horrible I’m 10 ft away from my grill I can see my gril with my door open and it losses connectivity waste pf
Money ….

So I got the meat stick Wi-Fi pro bundle on the way seems better quality seen a lot of good vids on it also
You may have a problem with your WiFi connection, the Block I have functions perfectly at long distance, through walls. Regarding the charge, look at the batteries you use in the Block, I used Duracells and have also done 16 hour Brisket in my Tailgater, and still had half the charge left. I also have a Meater+ that has limited range, which is what made me think you may have a WiFi issue. The other thing that affects you battery is the heat it is exposed to, be sure to insert it far enough into the meat.

I fully agree with your opinion of the Traeger pellets, they suck compared to the Pit boss ones.

Following your lead I looked at the Meatstick products, they look good, I might get one just to try. I confess to preferring the Meater's bamboo wood finish.

I watched about 10 reviews and feel meat stick is a better choice seen a lot of issue's with Meater

I watched about 10 reviews and feel meat stick is a better choice seen a lot of issue's with Meater
I have been fortunate then, I guess.

Something that is noteworthy is that the Meatstick WiFi Bridge set is not really completely wireless, you need to power it with a micro USB supply, where the Meater Block needs batteries only, with the option of powering it with a micro USB.

I loved my Meater but it didn’t last 10 hours and consistently loss connection for 100 bucks I expect it to work

I loved my Meater but it didn’t last 10 hours and consistently loss connection for 100 bucks I expect it to work
If you paid $100, then you did not get the Block which costs $300. That explains the connectivity issue, because the Meater has only immediate area, unboosted, while the Meater+ has a boosted in the wooden holder, which extends reasonably. The Block has WiFi and Bluetooth which means it depends on your WiFi quality.

The Block also uses 4 AA batteries to charge opposed to 1 on the other two. Could influence your charge.

You may have a problem with your WiFi connection, the Block I have functions perfectly at long distance, through walls. Regarding the charge, look at the batteries you use in the Block, I used Duracells and have also done 16 hour Brisket in my Tailgater, and still had half the charge left. I also have a Meater+ that has limited range, which is what made me think you may have a WiFi issue. The other thing that affects you battery is the heat it is exposed to, be sure to insert it far enough into the meat.

I fully agree with your opinion of the Traeger pellets, they suck compared to the Pit boss ones.

Following your lead I looked at the Meatstick products, they look good, I might get one just to try. I confess to preferring the Meater's bamboo wood finish.
Not to get too far off topic, but unless they have changed their sourcing in the last couple of years, both Traeger and Pit Boss pellets are sourced regionally (lowest bidder situation). I talked to a company a couple of years ago who made pellets for both. So the ones you get today may not be the same as the ones someone gets a few hundred miles away (or the same as the ones you will get next week). Makes for horribly variable quality.

This is why we still use LumberJack pellets. Great, reliable quality.

I did a deep dive into my Meater(s) and this is the issue with A low slow cook and the Meater ambient temperature sensor. The ambient sensor is close to the meat and so measures a consistently lower temperature than the pit boss internal probe. They say in the Meater FAQ that the ambient sensor is made to read the “microclimate” near the surface of the meat.

Whatever.

The issue is in a low and slow where the cook is set at 200 and the final temp is set at 205, the ambient will never be high enough for the app to give an estimate of the cook time.

The internal Meater temps (using both Meater and the PB probes in the same cup of water) are consistently 5° F less than the Meater probes.

So for low/slow cooks just use the Meater later in the cook, or just monitor the internal and ignore the “estimate”

Latest Discussions

Back