ThermoWorks Smoke

I use the Thermoworks Signals, it has 4 ports. 1 ambient temp probe and 3 regular probes. The smoke I believe has 2 ports and a separate monitoring device if I'm not mistaken. I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my Thermoworks products, however there are many other instant read probe sets for less money that would probably do the job.

I just got an email from Thermoworks. They are having a Black Friday sale on the smoke X2, and the smoke X4. $126.75 for the X2 and $149.25 for the X4. I didn't realize there was a smoke X4.

I just got an email from Thermoworks. They are having a Black Friday sale on the smoke X2, and the smoke X4. $126.75 for the X2 and $149.25 for the X4. I didn't realize there was a smoke X4.
Thanks for the replies. I got the same email today. It interested me to see that the accuracy of Smoke, X2, and X4 are all the same. Never knew there was an X2 but thought the more expensive models had better accuracy. Don't need 4 probes or some of the other features. Will wait for the smoke to go on sale, being the frugal (cheap) sort. I am definitely interested. I like the idea of accurate gill and internal cook temps.

Got my smoke yesterday. Looks like a quality item and look forward to trying it on an actual cook. Also can't wait to see how it agrees with the smokers displayed temperatures. I like the idea that the probes are thinner than the ones provided by Pitboss.

The only negative, and that may just be my perception, is the insertion points to plug the probes into the sending unit seem like cheap plastic. Will say more when I've had a chance to actually use it. Looking forward to it.

Just ordered my Smoke from Thermoworks. Couldn't wait for it to go on sale. With my luck it will be on sale tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out and seeing the actual temperatures.in my 850. Be interesting to compare temps with the Pitboss internal meat probe too.
I liked my smoke so well that I now have two of them. I bought cheaper ones over the years but they were not accurate and never last. These thermometers are super accurate and can be calibrated. They also are well-made as a matter of fact these are used in competition smokes. I use the air ambient probe and meat probes and the probes are awesome! They have a great selection of probes.

Using my new Smoke now doing smoked meatloaf. Pitboss set at 250 and once settled the Smoke has displayed grill temps anywhere from 200 to 230. It seems I'm actually cooking around 225 average rather than the set 250. The meat probe seems to be rising normally

One other small issue is I had to bore the cable hole provided by Pitboss slightly to allow the two Smoke probes to fit.

Using my new Smoke now doing smoked meatloaf. Pitboss set at 250 and once settled the Smoke has displayed grill temps anywhere from 200 to 230. It seems I'm actually cooking around 225 average rather than the set 250. The meat probe seems to be rising normally

One other small issue is I had to bore the cable hole provided by Pitboss slightly to allow the two Smoke probes to fit.

I have two grate temp probes. One from my smoke, and one from the smoke X4. When I use my 820 pro, I use two temp probes, one on the left, and one on the right and the temp varies by 10 to 40 degrees left to right and it is not very stable.

here is an easy mod to the probe hole, along with a grommet avail on amazon

Last edited:
I have two grate temp probes. One from my smoke, and one from the smoke X4. When I use my 820 pro, I use two temp probes, one on the left, and one on the right and the temp varies by 10 to 40 degrees left to right and it is not very stable.

here is an easy mod to the probe hole, along with a grommet avail on amazon

Thanks for the info. Already drilled the hole out sufficiently to get both probes through. Only had one air probe set on left side and averaged 222 while set at 250. Like you said it varied while the controller reading remained stable. Next cook will measure the right side and will try the middle on another. Obviously the controller is not accurate. In any event the meatloaf came out good.

Not happy with the temperature variations between my 850 and the temps shown on my smoke. The left side is an average of 30 degrees cooler than the Pitboss display and an average of 45 degrees cooler on the right side. So my setting of 250 is definitely cooler. Haven't had a chance to check mid grill temps. Debating between simply adjusting or calling Pitboss. Think calling is the way to go and hoping they will have an upgraded controller. How's that old song go? DREAMING.

Not happy with the temperature variations between my 850 and the temps shown on my smoke. The left side is an average of 30 degrees cooler than the Pitboss display and an average of 45 degrees cooler on the right side. So my setting of 250 is definitely cooler. Haven't had a chance to check mid grill temps. Debating between simply adjusting or calling Pitboss. Think calling is the way to go and hoping they will have an upgraded controller. How's that old song go? DREAMING.
Pit Boss sent me a new ambient temp probe for the inside of my 1600 and it didn't make a difference. I've given up on ever having the pitboss temp match the pitboss display. I completely trust my Thermoworks temp so I adjust the 1600 so that my Signals reading is where I want it to be. It's unfortunate that pitboss can't seem to fix it but, at least this way I know what my temps actually are.

Pit Boss sent me a new ambient temp probe for the inside of my 1600 and it didn't make a difference. I've given up on ever having the pitboss temp match the pitboss display. I completely trust my Thermoworks temp so I adjust the 1600 so that my Signals reading is where I want it to be. It's unfortunate that pitboss can't seem to fix it but, at least this way I know what my temps actually are.
Thanks for the reply. Just got off the phone with Pitboss. After explaining my problem the tech at 1st was going to send a temp probe. I told him that part had already been replaced. He then agreed to send me a new controller which he said was in stock. He also said this controller would have the new increments like the 1100. If true that makes me a happy camper. Will keep updated.

Latest Discussions

Back