Thermal blanket for grill?

Usmc93

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these? I see they make an 1100 series one which I’m told will fit the 1150 smoker....but it’s $129.

ive read that in 30-40 degree weather (which I’m in now) it can actually help differences go from 50-60 degree differences to 20-30 degrees which would be a major help for me.

figured I’d see if any of you tried it before I go spend $129. It’s going to be my last ditch effort to see if this new updated controller is even worth keeping the grill before I decide on sending it back.

Has anyone tried these? I see they make an 1100 series one which I’m told will fit the 1150 smoker....but it’s $129.

ive read that in 30-40 degree weather (which I’m in now) it can actually help differences go from 50-60 degree differences to 20-30 degrees which would be a major help for me.

figured I’d see if any of you tried it before I go spend $129. It’s going to be my last ditch effort to see if this new updated controller is even worth keeping the grill before I decide on sending it back.
You could try a welding blanket at Harbor freight for 1/4 cost. I've read several people use those.

I purchased mine about a week ago and love it. It will definitely show you how leaky the doors are but overall a great addition. It cuts down time to get to temp and really helps with recovery when spritzing, saucing etc. I've noticed that it also helps with temps left to right but I want to study that a little bit more...

I bought a harbor freight welding blanket, ~20$ and doubled it up and mounted it to my 1150 lid. I mounted the handle, logo emblem and my added temperature gauge thru the blanket. It was real easy to make the necessary holes thru the blanket so I could mount them back on the lid over the blanket. So far, it has helped a whole lot during the cold winter months. Lets the grill get up to temperature faster. Glad there wasn't a commercial thermal blanket available when I was looking....this works and was a whole lot cheaper.

Attachments

• 20210306_115829[1].jpg
    20210306_115829[1].jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 834
From his description of the problem I've got to assume it's unique to non-PID controllers.
From the video it sounds like he expects this thing to act as a cover. Are people doing that? Of course rain makes uncovered things wet.

Last edited:
being that they're supposed to be removed apparently, a welding blanket is starting to make a lot of sense. just throw it on and pull it off when I open it. Should be a similar effect to just opening to check on the meat, right?

Latest Discussions

Back