The Pit Boss Pro 850

Breeden850

Reaction score
As noted, I have traded in my 820 for a Lowe's Pro 850 It's larger and I like the stick that opens the flame broiler. I have a few questions for those who may also have the 850.

Q1 I have two meat probes inserted into the meat, and connected to the two 1/8 inch inputs. Only one probe is working. It reads out on the grill display and my phone display. Should both probes display their temp at the same time? I tried to adjust their position in the meat and the grill shut down.

Q2 The Smoke It app is very basic and has a lot of improvements to be made. I've connected the grill to my IPhone, but the IT light on the grill display panel continues to flash. What to do?

Q3 Also re the Smoke It - the function connecting it to the local wi fi network does not seem to function correctly. For example, on the screen for the network/network password/grill pass word the local networks are not displayed and the "show" the password when typing does not work. ???

I am sure these App bugs will all be worked out before I choose to regret my trade?

As noted, I have traded in my 820 for a Lowe's Pro 850 It's larger and I like the stick that opens the flame broiler. I have a few questions for those who may also have the 850.

Q1 I have two meat probes inserted into the meat, and connected to the two 1/8 inch inputs. Only one probe is working. It reads out on the grill display and my phone display. Should both probes display their temp at the same time? I tried to adjust their position in the meat and the grill shut down.

Q2 The Smoke It app is very basic and has a lot of improvements to be made. I've connected the grill to my IPhone, but the IT light on the grill display panel continues to flash. What to do?

Q3 Also re the Smoke It - the function connecting it to the local wi fi network does not seem to function correctly. For example, on the screen for the network/network password/grill pass word the local networks are not displayed and the "show" the password when typing does not work. ???

I am sure these App bugs will all be worked out before I choose to regret my trade?

I have the PS1150 but the systems are the same.

1: both probes should operate independently. See attached

2: I agree the app is basic as all get out, I recommend deleting the app and reinstalling, the app works on my grill only when it wants too.... so good luck there.

3: can’t help you here sorry

Have you found any instructional videos or manual that covers how to set the recipe features? 5AE50CB9-EDEE-4E96-87F7-738A08728E2D.png

Give Pit Boss a call on the WiFi connection as they will discuss it as this seems to be an issue as someone on a youtube mention the problem, but they removed the video today for some reason.

From what I understand the recipe feature will not store recipes, all data is lost when turned off

1)Both probes read out on the display for me.
2)App is very basic but does read out smoker temp and meat temps. Only works well around the house and close to the smoker.
3)Did have to delete and reinstall the app several times as well as pair it with the smoker several times. Has been working fine for about 2 weeks.

Still looking for a grill cover that fits. If anyone has found one that works, please let us all know.

I have discovered that the new meat probe just does not work. The probe I previously bought does. How to return the probe?

One other criticism of the Pro850 is you cannot set the temp to 375°. Most recipes are written for this temperature so I can only keep switching between 350° and 400° to keep it near 375°?

I would return it wherever you bought it from. The smoker comes with 1 probe which works fine and I had to buy a 2 pack from PitBoss to fill the other port which works fine as well with 1 backup just in case. If you bought a single non-PitBoss probe maybe that could be a problem?

Haven't tried 375 yet as everything i've done so far has been at 225 or 400-500 to sear but i'll try it this weekend with something.

On another note, at my Lowe's here in Gilbert AZ, they have the magnetic PitBoss cutting board on sale for only $13. Works great so far and fits perfect on top of the hopper. Throwing it out there in case this deal is in other stores.

Latest Discussions

Back