Thanksgiving Turkey

AZ Medic

Reaction score
Hi all! I am thinking about smoking my turkey this year. I have a Pitboss PS 2 850. Any suggestions for a newbie on doing a turkey? I have done many pork butts and ribs but never a turkey.

I typically brine it the night before then inject it with butter/Cajun mix then smoke

Im thinking this year of spatchcocking it as it seem it will cook more evenly. Last year it was really windy and cold and I felt the breast took forever to reach temp compared to the leg

So @AZ Medic, i'm in the same boat. did a test with a turkey breast last week and went well. I have the insulating cover for my 850. i had to squish a foil pan to sit under the grates for the 1" water/drip tray... Curious if thats actually needed. There isnt much room under the grate for that and if pan were to crack, might be looking at liquids interfering with the firepot. I've got two 12lb turkeys gonna smoke on Friday but definitely wary of possible extended cooking times.

I've been looking for a big fresh breast. LoL To do a texas style skinless smoke on. Startin to look like I'm gonna be doin a whole bird. If I use the 1150 I'll spatchcock it. Nostalgia in me makes me want to drag out the old bullet water smoker.

I posted this last year but will post again. I think I made this video 3-4 years ago. It was my first attempt at a boneless turkey. I have since gotten better at it and now cook 2 each year. One was enough for us but there are no leftovers so now I do 2. One I will pick whatever rub I am in the mood for and the other I use the Weber Cajun Rub. I have tried it with a net and without and it seems to work better with the net left on.

Also, I mention in the video I change the P setting but have since learned it doesn't work at the temp I have the grill set at. It only works in smoke mode. This year I will throw them on the vertical pellet smoker. I don't recall how long they take since I only do them once a year (and I have to go back and watch my own video to see exactly how I do it and then improvise with something new each year).

If I recall there is some skin on the breast. I seem to remember it being a bit rubbery the first time. I can't remember if real butter or Parkay will help crisp it up (maybe either will be fine) but you're never going to get any crispy skin at 250.

My plan this year is to start it on smoke mode for at least 90 minutes. Then 250 and when I get close to an internal temp of 165 I will bump it up to 300 or 350 just depending on my mood. Not going to get up early for this but will put them both on whenever I get up. Will go from there because there really is no set time. Leaving it on smoke mode will lengthen the time and normally we eat around 11 or noon. So maybe anywhere from a 4 to 6 hour cook.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go with the spatchcock idea. I have done that with chicken and liked the result.

Latest Discussions

Back