Temps so far off!

920cody

Reaction score
I have the 1100 series grill. I’m doing ribs right now and noticed there is a major difference in probe temps. The pit boss grill probe shows 300, a Fireboard grill probe at the top back wire rack shows 215, and a Fireboard meat probe just resting on the meat on the upper wire rack shows 158.

I assume the temp of the meat is cooling the meat probe that is just resting on the meat. But the other 2 are so far apart, I don’t know which to believe for barrel temperature.

Attachments

• ACFC339B-5646-4EDB-B45E-818EB46BC879.png
    ACFC339B-5646-4EDB-B45E-818EB46BC879.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 2DB8A2E4-7FA0-474C-840C-9EA09D096B88.png
    2DB8A2E4-7FA0-474C-840C-9EA09D096B88.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I"m having a similar issue, Pit shows 350, phone app shows 350 but my Thermoworks Smoke shows 270 hooked to middle of the cooking rack towards the back. If anything that should be a hot spot. No Bueno!

I"m having a similar issue, Pit shows 350, phone app shows 350 but my Thermoworks Smoke shows 270 hooked to middle of the cooking rack towards the back. If anything that should be a hot spot. No Bueno!
I found this and ordered one. Hopefully will take care of the issue. Makes perfect sense.

I found this and ordered one. Hopefully will take care of the issue. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks, saw that. Please let me know if it actually solves the problem. What I don't understand is why we've got to add an aftermarket mod to a smoker that's supposed to WORK from the factory.

Thanks, saw that. Please let me know if it actually solves the problem. What I don't understand is why we've got to add an aftermarket mod to a smoker that's supposed to WORK from the factory.
I agree. It's apparently a design flaw. From what I saw on the Smokes Like A Boss website, there's a video that states the 700 and 820 series are problem free, but when they came out with the combos and larger barrels, they got massive temp swings. The 700 and 820 series have a rounded plate that the drip pan sits on, but the combos and larger barrel grills have a flat plate that the pan sits on. That flat plate causes an airgap and allows the high temps from the flame to directly influence the temps of the probe. Again, a design flaw. So, Smokes Like A Boss is simply selling you a rounded plate that is already on the 700 and 820 series, which should have been on the new ones...

I have the 1100 series grill. I’m doing ribs right now and noticed there is a major difference in probe temps. The pit boss grill probe shows 300, a Fireboard grill probe at the top back wire rack shows 215, and a Fireboard meat probe just resting on the meat on the upper wire rack shows 158.

I assume the temp of the meat is cooling the meat probe that is just resting on the meat. But the other 2 are so far apart, I don’t know which to believe for barrel temperature.
Hi Cody,
A glass of crushed ice slush should read 32F, try both probes in it. And then try boiling water. Water may cool down a bit but booth should read the same temp. I have a FIREBOARD 6 channel rig, I trust their equipment.

Hi Cody,
A glass of crushed ice slush should read 32F, try both probes in it. And then try boiling water. Water may cool down a bit but booth should read the same temp. I have a FIREBOARD 6 channel rig, I trust their equipment.
I use the Fireboard also. Great unit. All my probes are spot on.

Get the air gap and flame diffuser mods from smokes like a boss. I have both on mine and with a little tweaking, you can get the temps evened out quite nicely.

Fellow smokers, I have the PB1150PS2, and like others I was having issues with inconsistent and inaccurate temps inside the grill v. the set temp on the controller. So I decided to do a small experiment and I was SHOCKED to find that the inside of my smoker was running more than 100° hotter in spots than the set temp. I'm attaching pics here, the first shows the 5 probes I set (I have the Chugod iBBQ 6X), spaced pretty well apart. The next 2 pics show the temp inside the smoker, which was set on the controller at 250°.

So I took the advice offered by others and bought both the 4 Window Flame Tamer and the Heat Deflector/Airgap Mod from Smokes Like a Boss - by the way Tom is a great guy, super friendly and helpful. I set up the Flame Tamer and the Airgap Mod, and the next 2 pics show the results. Probes set in same locations with controller set to 250° and the temps were very much within reason and SO much better than before. Really excited to smoke a spatchcocked turkey for Thanksgiving!

Attachments

• 20221119_095647.jpg
    20221119_095647.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221119-103522_chugod.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119-103522_chugod.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20221119-103512_chugod.jpg
    Screenshot_20221119-103512_chugod.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20221123-211122_chugod.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-211122_chugod.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20221123-211113_chugod.jpg
    Screenshot_20221123-211113_chugod.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 21
Ok, Thanksgiving day and this Pit Boss smoker (PB1100PSC2) is a complete nightmare today!!! First, the I can’t set temp in small increments. Goes from 250 to 300. I bought the smoke like a boss plate that blocks the gap in the drip tray by the temp probe. Helps somewhat. The ambient temp in the grill is fluctuating between 180 and 290. When I set grill on 250, temp registers 180. I jump it to 300 (nothing between 250 and 300), the temp probe climbs to 290. I’m trying to maintain 225 and can’t! I’m so pissed at this piece of shit, I’m ready to haul it to the curb for trash pickup!

Ok, Thanksgiving day and this Pit Boss smoker (PB1100PSC2) is a complete nightmare today!!! First, the I can’t set temp in small increments. Goes from 250 to 300. I bought the smoke like a boss plate that blocks the gap in the drip tray by the temp probe. Helps somewhat. The ambient temp in the grill is fluctuating between 180 and 290. When I set grill on 250, temp registers 180. I jump it to 300 (nothing between 250 and 300), the temp probe climbs to 290. I’m trying to maintain 225 and can’t! I’m so pissed at this piece of shit, I’m ready to haul it to the curb for trash pickup!
Are you using the app? My app does that 50 degree thing. I only use the app to monitor the smoker. I am very disappointed with the PB App, GMG app is badazz. I get by setting temps manually at the smoker which is ok for low and slow cooking Ibguess.

Last edited:
Are you using the app? My app does that 50 degree thing. I only use the app to monitor the smoker. I am very disappointed with the PB App, GMG app is badazz. I get by setting temps manually at the smoker which is ok for low and slow cooking Ibguess.
Yes, using the app to monitor and change temps back and forth between 250 and 300. The only way I can keep this from getting too hot/too cold. Something that’s supposed to pretty much be set it and forget is more work than my Masterbuilt smoker. The Masterbuilt I just had to adjust a few times in the beginning until I got the consistent temp I wanted, then it was good for the rest of the day. This Pit Boss is the biggest piece of crap!

Yes, using the app to monitor and change temps back and forth between 250 and 300. The only way I can keep this from getting too hot/too cold. Something that’s supposed to pretty much be set it and forget is more work than my Masterbuilt smoker. The Masterbuilt I just had to adjust a few times in the beginning until I got the consistent temp I wanted, then it was good for the rest of the day. This Pit Boss is the biggest piece of crap!
Ditch the app! I don't mean just turn it off uninstall it totally from all your devices. Then turn it on and drive it manually. See if you get different results.

Latest Discussions

Back