Temps in Vertical

Steve In Pa

Reaction score
There’s always been discussion of temp variances within the smoker. So since I have a smoke going on I’ll report what I’m seeing.
Target temp is 225ish. Smoker is set to 230.
Three grates have ribs on.
Top level is 210ish
Middle is 220ish.
Bottom is 235ish.
For my smoker…that’s normal. So what I do is rotate the ribs via grate rotation, front to back, top to bottom. I do that rotation about every 30 minutes or so.
As far as I’m concerned overtime it evens out.
That’s how my model works for me anyway.

There’s always been discussion of temp variances within the smoker. So since I have a smoke going on I’ll report what I’m seeing.
Top level is 210ish
Middle is 220ish.
Bottom is 235ish.
For my smoker…that’s normal. So what I do is rotate the ribs via grate rotation, front to back, top to bottom. I do that rotation about every 30 minutes or so.
I bet all of our kitchen ovens are the same way with some variance from top to bottom. In a way I'm afraid to check that, it's been cooking everything fine all these years. I always rotate big stuff like turkey's if a can, some years it's just to big to do that = 28 lbs turkey.

Top level is 210ish
Middle is 220ish.
Bottom is 235ish.
I have the Series 4 also. It’s been on my list to check each rack temps, but just have gotten around to it yet.
Thanks much for the info!!

I'm glad that we're talking about this today because I've had my Brunswick for about a year now. I recently got a hanging kitchenaid thermometer for the inside because I was concerned about internal temps vs what the PID controller was telling me. Consistently, the brunswick is about 25 degrees colder than what the PID is reporting at the middle of the chamber, AND the chamber really does require about 45 minutes to fully heat up and equalize. I'm not sure that's enough of a temperature offset to warrant a call to support, but it definitely explains some of the issues that I've had with shorter smokes.

Here is what I found on Pro S4 V2......at 250 degs and at 225 degs.....temperature at each rack location. I used a four probe temperature sensor.....one at each grate. Bottom was hottest next to fire....then the top where the heat gathered then the one below the middle was next. See below pics from my testing.

1663697011581.png

Latest Discussions

Back