Temperature issue

JTA

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been ask before, but I have a PB 850 G Navigator that was given to me by a client for Christmas. It was dropped off at my house all put together and ready to go. I already have 2 Traegers , one at home and one to camp so I'm used to pellet grills. I did the burn off and seasoned everything with vegetable oil. The next day we put a ham on smoke for 2 hours and then raised the temperature to 225 for about 2 more hours. After about 4 hours total I put the meat probe in only to find out that the ham was only 80 degrees. I went and got a thermometer that is use to fry fish and it said my temp was 180 and the PB said 225. I then went and got an oven thermometer to compare and it said 185. Ran the temp up to compensate and try to save my ham but it didn't work. PB sent me new controller and stat that I put in yesterday. Put in new stat and now it is worse.Most of the time it is 20 percent low, but sometimes it will catch up, so you can't compensate. PB said they will send me a new one again, but I don't think it will fix it. I would get my money back had I purchased it. Client keeps asking how I like it so I have to keep it. Had it a month and it hasn't cooked anything yet.

I had the same issue with my pro 850 and returned mine to the store for a refund. If it was a gift and you have the digital wifi controller on the grill now an older controller should work with the plugs being close to the same. I’ve done some research and the auger and fan motor are the same specs as older units. Instead of a PID controller this would be a time based controller so temps may fluctuate but from what I’ve seen on my older PB grill it works perfect. I was going to do this on my Pro 850 but figured why throw away 500 dollars. If it was free why not give it a shot.

First of all let me say thank you for the reply. Mine does not have the wifi connection. Mine only has a display and then the stat. I saw the auger and fan yesterday when I pulled the hopper to replace the stat. and all was working as should be. They said it has to be working because display and stat is only 2 items that it could be, so they are sending more . Should I demand a new unit from them and if so which one is most reliable?

Well not sure if some of the other members may chime in on this thread but at least from my knowledge stay away from the pro series 850 and 1150. I have seen more negative reviews than positive ones. I know some of the previous years models have worked great, I know some Pit Boss owners that have been extremely happy with theirs. I tried to get the older ones from Lowe’s but they only have the new pros available now so I’m thinking of going with a different manufacturer.

Well not sure if some of the other members may chime in on this thread but at least from my knowledge stay away from the pro series 850 and 1150. I have seen more negative reviews than positive ones. I know some of the previous years models have worked great, I know some Pit Boss owners that have been extremely happy with theirs. I tried to get the older ones from Lowe’s but they only have the new pros available now so I’m thinking of going with a different manufacturer.
Thank you. I'll see what happens. I'm in a bad situation with it being gifted. Thank so much. Maybe so other people will chime in.

I have not had those problems with my 850 PRO SERIES, maybe I am lucky but it's been working fine.

Sorry if this has been ask before, but I have a PB 850 G Navigator that was given to me by a client for Christmas. It was dropped off at my house all put together and ready to go. I already have 2 Traegers , one at home and one to camp so I'm used to pellet grills. I did the burn off and seasoned everything with vegetable oil. The next day we put a ham on smoke for 2 hours and then raised the temperature to 225 for about 2 more hours. After about 4 hours total I put the meat probe in only to find out that the ham was only 80 degrees. I went and got a thermometer that is use to fry fish and it said my temp was 180 and the PB said 225. I then went and got an oven thermometer to compare and it said 185. Ran the temp up to compensate and try to save my ham but it didn't work. PB sent me new controller and stat that I put in yesterday. Put in new stat and now it is worse.Most of the time it is 20 percent low, but sometimes it will catch up, so you can't compensate. PB said they will send me a new one again, but I don't think it will fix it. I would get my money back had I purchased it. Client keeps asking how I like it so I have to keep it. Had it a month and it hasn't cooked anything yet.
I have the same issue, I have purchased 2 pitboss grills the kc combo and pro series 4. I had problems with both only had them about a year. Customer care sucks I will never buy another. They are good looking junk.

Yes, I have changed the element, control board and stat. They just want to send me parts. This thing is now a month old and hasn’t cooked anything to completion. I’m at the end of my rope with it. They are now sending me more parts this week. Thanks for all the help, would love for it to be a good unit, just don’t believe it will.

Well, I said I would keep everyone informed after receiving yet another thermostat. I finally received thermostat number 3 yesterday and installed it this afternoon. After lighting grill, I set it on 300 and allowed about 30 minutes to settle in. Temp was set at 300, it said actual temp was 320 to sometimes 360. Meat probe placed in stat chamber was averaging about 240,
meat probe at opposite end was averaging 250ish, oven thermometer averaging 250 and thermostat hanging down inside slats on the rear was the highest at 260. Keep in mind it was supposed to be 300 but it was saying well above that. I spoke again with tech support and got a very helpful young lady. I told her I do realize that there would be swings, but this is beyond acceptable. The young lady then contacted what she said was 3 or 4 of her superiors and was authorized to send me another stat and display. Stat number 4 and display number 3 is on its way. I explained to her this was not going to fix it and she agreed but said this is what they approved. I offered to them since it was a gift and I can't return that if there was a better unit that is proven to be good, I will pay the difference. Parts are on the way so I will keep you posted.

Well, as I told everyone I would update on my problem. They sent a new controller and stat as they had responded they wanted to. I installed both the controller and stat the following day. I lit the grill, let it burn an hour or so and went to testing temps. Needless to say it was not any better. I then notified Pitboss and the young man that finally answered saw my history and immediately turn me over to a supervisor. The following day I receive an email from a supervisor with a case number. A couple of hours later I receive an email with a shipping label that says there is another controller on the way. There was no phone number to contact so I replied to it and said please do not send me another controller. This grill is on controller number 3 and stat number 4 in 60 days. Yet to cook a single piece of meat. The following day I called and waited on hold to get to a tech, when she answered I informed her that I don't want any more parts for this grill please. I then ask her to please end my case and remove me from any further emails. I am so disappointed in the supervisor that couldn't even call me. As I stated early in all of this, I had high hopes for this grill The only thing I can do is throw mine in the trash and get it out of my shop. Bad deal.

Well, as I told everyone I would update on my problem. They sent a new controller and stat as they had responded they wanted to. I installed both the controller and stat the following day. I lit the grill, let it burn an hour or so and went to testing temps. Needless to say it was not any better. I then notified Pitboss and the young man that finally answered saw my history and immediately turn me over to a supervisor. The following day I receive an email from a supervisor with a case number. A couple of hours later I receive an email with a shipping label that says there is another controller on the way. There was no phone number to contact so I replied to it and said please do not send me another controller. This grill is on controller number 3 and stat number 4 in 60 days. Yet to cook a single piece of meat. The following day I called and waited on hold to get to a tech, when she answered I informed her that I don't want any more parts for this grill please. I then ask her to please end my case and remove me from any further emails. I am so disappointed in the supervisor that couldn't even call me. As I stated early in all of this, I had high hopes for this grill The only thing I can do is throw mine in the trash and get it out of my shop. Bad deal.
It seems to me that there isn't really a closed loop control at all. I got the same results from my test; meat probe and thermocouple about 30-50F cooler than what the grill says it is. I see no value in replacing the controllers until this is really fixed. In the meantime, Lowe's should stop selling them...a PR fiasco for them and PB.

Latest Discussions

Back