Temp going way over set temperature

SmokeyDokey

Reaction score
I posted a few months back about my Copperhead 5 series flaring up frequently and temp being wildly inconsistent. I’ve had a few cooks where I didn’t replay notice much of an issue, but there are still times where I’m cooking on 250 and the burn pot flares up and shoots way past 300. Tonight for instance, cooking chicken and have it set to 250. For about 30 minutes it did well, stuck around 240-260 without any flare ups. After 30 minutes I started hearing the fan staying on longer than usual and temp was at 315 with the burn pot flared up. What the heck is going on with it?

Grease fire?
IMO, Highly unlikely. The flare ups happen in the burn pot under the drip pan. I always keep the drip pan in so no grease should get under it. Or maybe it does…??? I don’t know. I just feel like maybe the fan is coming on too late and staying on too long. Temp gets down to 200 and above 300.

Is the temp probe clean?
Haven’t paid any attention to that since it’s been doing this since I got it new a few months ago. But I do need to check that for sure since I’ve put about 10 good cooks on it so far. I always clean the ash from the burn pot before every cook but that’s all the maintenance I’m doing other than wiping down the door and drip pan, and cleaning the racks with a wad of foil every cook.

It should have PID control. So it should be learning each time you cook something.
First 10 cooks on my 1150 were not smooth at all.

It should have PID control. So it should be learning each time you cook something.
First 10 cooks on my 1150 were not smooth at all.
I’ve been wondering this and waiting for someone to mention this as a possibility. It does seem like it wants to do right sometimes but then goes haywire. I’ve even seen it go haywire then come back and finish off consistently. It’s weird, but the PID control being the culprit sort of makes more sense than anything. Thanks.

Latest Discussions

Back