Temp differences

Alex.fenner

Reaction score
Hey all, I am new to using a Pit Boss and am confused on the huge temperature differences. I set the auger to 225 and after an hour the temp gauge on barrell still reads 170. I am trying to smoke so low and slow is great but that is usually around 225 or so. Why the huge difference in temps?

Mine is the same way. I've found that on the smoke setting , P6 or P7 gives me the most consistent 225 degrees.

Hey all, I am new to using a Pit Boss and am confused on the huge temperature differences. I set the auger to 225 and after an hour the temp gauge on barrell still reads 170. I am trying to smoke so low and slow is great but that is usually around 225 or so. Why the huge difference in temps?

You set the controller to 225, correct? If so then if the temp is dropping to 170 when it is set to 225 then it is staying around 170 then you may have a bad controller.

The main read out temp probe is very near the fire box on my 7 series smoker. The actual smoker temperature decreases the further up one going with the cook rack. That said, I use two secondary probes when I cook. One probe monitors internal meat temp. and the other probe monitors external temp at my cooking height.

Good luck,

Chester

Latest Discussions

Back