Sudden Shutdowns

thamilton1954

Reaction score
My Austin XL has begun suddenly shutting down and yesterday the digital display went out, but came back on again today. The grill has shut down suddenly twice.

Grill will restart after a half hour or so of being off.

Any clues as to why?

Normally you get an error code if the unit is overheating. The behavior of your grill is acting like the unit is overheating.

Check the wiring inside the until and see if anything is loose or any signs of the wires burnt or melted.

Display going out might mean a bad controller. Contact customer support and they can trouble shoot for you or send a new one. Keep in mind they are short staffed and hard to get a hold of. Normally I leave a call back number. 1-877-303-3134

Normally you get an error code if the unit is overheating. The behavior of your grill is acting like the unit is overheating.

Check the wiring inside the until and see if anything is loose or any signs of the wires burnt or melted.

Thank you!!! I will take a look today!

Display going out might mean a bad controller. Contact customer support and they can trouble shoot for you or send a new one. Keep in mind they are short staffed and hard to get a hold of. Normally I leave a call back number. 1-877-303-3134

I will call them and strip the unit down to check components. Are aftermarket parts okay? Or too risky?

Sometimes the aftermarket parts are made in the same Chinese factory so they are pretty much the same. Some of them even work better than the stock parts so you should be good on any part you use most of them seem to be a universal fit. but since you have an Austin XL Pit Boss will probably send you the part for free since they are under 5 year warranty but shipping is slow. And I mean slow it would be faster to drive across country and pick it up then the have them ship it. I've been waiting 8 weeks on an internal temp probe for mine. I got impatient so I ordered one from Amazon with one day shipping and installed it over the weekend with no issues and it was an aftermarket RTD probe.

Last edited:
As you can see this is pretty much the same thing:

https://www.amazon.com/QuliMetal-Digital-Thermostat-Controller-Display/dp/B07YHFBZ22?ref_=ast_sto_dp
But for about 60 bucks I would call Pit Boss and wait on them to send a new one. Explain to them what is happening, they will troubleshoot or send a new part.

that is too funny here is another one on amazon. You can get this same controller for $19.99 on this Chinese website. I will have to find it and just think of all the issues PB is having explains it as they are using $20 dollar controller.

Pitt Boss removed the controller from there Service parts page for Austin and Pro Series grills...interesting I wonder if they found an issue with these controllers that may have come from the factory not properly functioning?

Pitt Boss removed the controller from there Service parts page for Austin and Pro Series grills...interesting I wonder if they found an issue with these controllers that may have come from the factory not properly functioning?
Wow, didn't know that... Upon closer inspection of the horizontal controllers on Amazon I have noticed 2 things - they do not have the 150 and 175 settings and they have a "P" setting. This is a different controller than what is used on a vertical Pit Boss. I'm sure these would work fine for the Austin XL. My grill uses the vertical controller so this would not be an option for me.

Latest Discussions

Back