Stupid question but I have to ask

mattgio61

Reaction score
Stupid question, when you are using the smoker do you place the controller in smoke mode and adjust the temperature by the P number or do you use one of the preset temperatures on the controller?

OK, different models from mine so I can’t say for sure and hopefully someone with your model will know. Otherwise, to me the S setting is smoke and some folks use that at the start to get more smoke going and then switch the temp up to cook. I rarely use the S setting and use smoke tubes if necessary during the cook. I use temp setting by setting it directly in the CP or my SmokeIT app. Temps depend on what your cooking and how you want it to turn out at what approximate time.

OK, different models from mine so I can’t say for sure and hopefully someone with your model will know. Otherwise, to me the S setting is smoke and some folks use that at the start to get more smoke going and then switch the temp up to cook. I rarely use the S setting and use smoke tubes if necessary during the cook. I use temp setting by setting it directly in the CP or my SmokeIT app. Temps depend on what your cooking and how you want it to turn out at what approximate time.
what started me looking into this I’ve had this smoker for about a year and when I use the preset temperatures the internal temperature of the smoker varies + or -50° so it’s like 100° temperature swing. i’ve tried everything and the only thing that kind of keeps a stable temperature is when I’m in smoke mode and the default P setting is 4. from what I can tell on YouTube it looks like some guys are cooking in smoke mode and they adjust the P number depending on the temperature of the day so I was doing some experimenting yesterday and it was holding up pretty good temperature for doing it that way so I was wondering have I been using this smoker wrong all of this time and this is the way I’m supposed to use it? so that’s why I’m asking the question. if using the preset temperatures are working for you then maybe something‘s wrong with my controller. I think I’m going to call pit boss and see what they say

what started me looking into this I’ve had this smoker for about a year and when I use the preset temperatures the internal temperature of the smoker varies + or -50° so it’s like 100° temperature swing. i’ve tried everything and the only thing that kind of keeps a stable temperature is when I’m in smoke mode and the default P setting is 4. from what I can tell on YouTube it looks like some guys are cooking in smoke mode and they adjust the P number depending on the temperature of the day so I was doing some experimenting yesterday and it was holding up pretty good temperature for doing it that way so I was wondering have I been using this smoker wrong all of this time and this is the way I’m supposed to use it? so that’s why I’m asking the question. if using the preset temperatures are working for you then maybe something‘s wrong with my controller. I think I’m going to call pit boss and see what they say
Yea, give them a call. I don’t think mine works the same way as yours but next time I fire it up I’ll take another look.

Ok I got you I called them

Don’t touch o setting unless ur cold smoking

Put on smoke setting let it smoke u til the white smoke is gome
Then set your trmp
And close lid

Latest Discussions

Back