Smoking

Kp33

Reaction score
What do most of you do for low and slow. Do you set it to smoke and leave on p4...do you set it to 225...or 250....not sure which mode is the best for low and slow. Thanks

I don't mess with the P setting. I tried it at first but I got a flame out when the temp got too low when I had it on P 6. Best bet is to leave it on 4. I've used the smoke setting, 200 and 250 just depends on how long you want it to take.

So in smoke mode p4 what is the cooking temp ranges?

I always start with a 225 setting but adjust my temp based on a thermometer on the rack where what ever im cooking is. My cook this weekend i ran at 250 and 275 to have 220 to 230 on the top racks of my vertical smoker

For me really depends on the length of the cook. IF I am doing a Brisket or large Pork Butt, I set it to smoke at Midnight and then go to bed. When I wake in the AM around 5:00-5:30 I will do my first spritz and get an internal temp of the meat. The usually run it at 250 the rest of the way till probe tender. My feeling is the overnight I am giving it a good smoke flavor and not burning through pellets too much. Then I can get up and finish. For items that take 5-8 hours usually 225 for first couple hours then 250 to finish. Just my crazy method. I will be doing some Beef Ribs this weekend and will run them at the 225-250 mark

For me really depends on the length of the cook. IF I am doing a Brisket or large Pork Butt, I set it to smoke at Midnight and then go to bed. When I wake in the AM around 5:00-5:30 I will do my first spritz and get an internal temp of the meat. The usually run it at 250 the rest of the way till probe tender. My feeling is the overnight I am giving it a good smoke flavor and not burning through pellets too much. Then I can get up and finish. For items that take 5-8 hours usually 225 for first couple hours then 250 to finish. Just my crazy method. I will be doing some Beef Ribs this weekend and will run them at the 225-250 mark

So for a brisket do you put it dead center or to the left...I realizing that if I do dead center the side touching the grill is getting overcooked, assuming that's because its over the fire pot. What p setting do you use on smoke mode?

So for a brisket do you put it dead center or to the left...I realizing that if I do dead center the side touching the grill is getting overcooked, assuming that's because its over the fire pot. What p setting do you use on smoke mode?
So I use my Pitboss Vertical Smoker for Briskets and most smoking as I find it to work better. I notice the back of the smoker seems to run hotter than the front. So I rotate the Brisker (actually all meats) every time I spritz. This allows for a more even cook on all sides. Basically ALL grill, smokers etc will have a hot zone so always rotate when spritzing. Sounds like a lot of work but soooo worth it and I really enjoy it.

So put a brisket on at 10:30 last night...set the pit boss barrel smoker to smoke and left it at p4..temp never went below 180 9r above 205...90% of the time it was 195. Woke up at 7 internal temp is 150...perfect for me so now I can either leave it at current temp or turn it up to 225.

I still haven't been brave enough to do an overnight cook. Maybe one day. I usually just wake up around 3AM anyway and I'll start long cooks then.

I still haven't been brave enough to do an overnight cook. Maybe one day. I usually just wake up around 3AM anyway and I'll start

I've done it 3 times with a brisket putting it on at about 11:00 p.m. and had no issues my only issue is the brisket was getting overcooked because I was cooking at 2:25 so with heat swings it was jumping up to 250 or so I did your suggestion of leaving it on smoke and P4 and when I woke up this morning at 7 my internal temp was 152 which is perfect

Latest Discussions

Back