Smoking Temp on PB4400

ESNB

Reaction score
I have been using my PB4400 to grill for years and it works great and I love it. Haven't used it to smoke anything before and I want to smoke 3.5 lbs bonless turkey breast for tonight.
Couple quick questions:
1) Does it only smoke went set to smoke?
2) Do I set it the temp dial on "Smoke" or 200, 225, 250?

I know these may seem like basic or even dumb questions, but I appreciate any help.

I was able to find something online and it appears the "P" setting is my key for smoking. I'm gonna warm it up at 1:45, put the 3.5 lbs turkey breast on at 2:15 on 225 P6 and see how it goes. Can always turn it up to 300 or so if the IT isn't high enough as we get closer to eating at 5:00.

I have been using my PB4400 to grill for years and it works great and I love it. Haven't used it to smoke anything before and I want to smoke 3.5 lbs bonless turkey breast for tonight.
Couple quick questions:
1) Does it only smoke went set to smoke?
2) Do I set it the temp dial on "Smoke" or 200, 225, 250?

I know these may seem like basic or even dumb questions, but I appreciate any help.

I keep it closed. Coked at 250 said 175 on recipe but my pit had 250. Use the probe it was right at 170 inside temp. Came out great and good smoky taste.

I keep it closed. Coked at 250 said 175 on recipe but my pit had 250. Use the probe it was right at 170 inside temp. Came out great and good smoky taste.

What was your P setting on 250? How long did it take to get to 170 IT?

Well that was a disaster. Set it on 250 P6, but then decided to turn it down to 225 P6 (should have left it alone... Ah second guessing), then the fire went out. Had to turn it back to smoke to get the fire started, then the igniter would stop and it heated to 350 and was still climbing. Grrrr.... So I pulled the plug and put it in the oven.

P setting should be left on 4 anything else is too high and the fire will go out. If you lose the fire you have to let it shutdown. Then have to restart and let it get back in a groove before putting the meat back on. It's happened to me several times.

I think the P setting only works in Smoke mode, I can't remember.

I smoked a breast 4lbs. 3.5 hours The way I understand p settings is if your put your temp
On smoke. At 150 it won’t let you set a p.

ESNB, my understanding is the P (pause) setting allows you to select a preset pause between 18 second segments of auger on. P0 pause is the shortest, around 50 seconds, I think, then comes another 18 seconds of auger activity. Each higher pause number, P1-P7 lengthens the pause several seconds (should be a chart in the manual). So, P0 has the shortest pause and P7 has the longest pause. P settings are only active in Smoke mode and have no connection to the thermostat. It's timing only. On a warm day, P4 will run hotter than on a cold day, it's all timing.
When you select a temperature, say 250, the thermostat is active, and auger activity attempts to achieve 250. P settings are disabled on any temperature setting.
"Smoke" is a poor choice of names for P settings. If pellets burn in your PB, there is always smoke. You choose to have your fire fed by timing (Smoke) or by thermostat control. Smoke, I believe, is unburned hydrocarbons. Hot fires burn cleaner, less visible smoke, less unburned hydrocarbons.

Latest Discussions

Back