Smoked turkey anyone?

JerseyMark

Reaction score
I'm relatively new at smoking. I have a 700FB and I'm thinking about smoking a turkey for Thanksgiving. I did a search on this site and didn't really find anything. Has anyone out there tried to smoke a whole turkey? If so any tips, tricks or results will be much appreciated. Thanks.

YouTube is your friend:

I did two of them last year and they turned out great. All I did was inject with Tony's butter and added some Hickory Bacon Pit Boss rub and one with Champion Chicken rub.

Keep in mind mine was much different as I did two boneless turkey breasts. I will do two more this year on my Copperhead Vertical and see how they turn out (last year I did them on the Pit Boss grill).

I've done quite a few whole turkeys over the years...looking forward to doing one this year on the Lockhart. I always slide a few pats of seasoned butter under the breast skin (be sure to not break the skin!) and start it on it's back. After the butter is well melted, I finish the smoke breast down so the breast is self basting the rest of the cook. Never had a dry breast this way. Always take temps in the thigh and don't overcook! As with all whole poultry, you don't get a whole lot of smoke in the meat.

YouTube is your friend:

I did two of them last year and they turned out great. All I did was inject with Tony's butter and added some Hickory Bacon Pit Boss rub and one with Champion Chicken rub.

Keep in mind mine was much different as I did two boneless turkey breasts. I will do two more this year on my Copperhead Vertical and see how they turn out (last year I did them on the Pit Boss grill).
Thanks Mike, I appreciate the help. I follow your posts every day.

I've done quite a few whole turkeys over the years...looking forward to doing one this year on the Lockhart. I always slide a few pats of seasoned butter under the breast skin (be sure to not break the skin!) and start it on it's back. After the butter is well melted, I finish the smoke breast down so the breast is self basting the rest of the cook. Never had a dry breast this way. Always take temps in the thigh and don't overcook! As with all whole poultry, you don't get a whole lot of smoke in the meat.
Thank you so much. That sounds like exactly what I am looking for.

This turkey looks good! he uses a Traeger but it can be done on a Pit Boss. I am not sure how much smoke flavor there would be at 300 but man, it looks good!

We are having a Friendsgiving on the 13th. I'm going to be smoking the turkey. I decided to go with the Meat Church Birdbath brine. I will be injecting the breast with a little bit of herbed butter and using my longhorn blend pellets which is 100% mesquite, cherry, and maple. Thanks for the video Mike, Im now going to add the aromatics in the cavity and bast it with butter. Hoping for the best bird I've ever made!

Latest Discussions

Back