Smoked Tri-Tip Recipe

My tri-tips done brisket style (triscut as my family calls it) usually is about 9 hrs at 225-250. Wrap around 160-165 degrees.

I rarely see a tri tip in the supermarkets here. I would probably have to go the a local butcher. That’s gonna be on my to do list I haven’t did one of those yet.

Haven't tried tri tip but it's on my to do list. Haven't seen it in the grocery store either. I'm wondering if it shoud be cooked like brisket to high temp or just to medium, say 135-140? seems there are both methods on YouTube. Will it come out tender at medium or does it need to be cooked like brisket? Always learning.

I think it would depend on what your wanting as to which style you use, here tri tip is twice as expensive as brisket. I grill tri tip on a regular basis and have also smoked them. I always shoot for medium rare and think of it more as a steak then a bbq product.

Attachments

• 20210126_183305.jpg
    20210126_183305.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 18
I think it would depend on what your wanting as to which style you use, here tri tip is twice as expensive as brisket. I grill tri tip on a regular basis and have also smoked them. I always shoot for medium rare and think of it more as a steak then a bbq product.
Thanks for the thoughts. Think I'll do the steak method when I can find a tri tip. Look forward to it.

Found and bought a 3 pound Tri Tip yesterday. Plan to smoke it on Thursday, weather permitting. Hope for good results. been hearing a 2 hour cook at 250 should be sufficient to get somewhere near medium. I'm going to allow 3 hours but watch the temperature. Any thoughts?

If you want a rare cut I’ve heard 130 is the magic number then sear. Temp anywhere from 180-225. Just what I’ve heard from talking to others.
I’ve only done my tritips brisket style.

The 3, I cooked this weekend were done at 350 the entire time, I pulled at 125 and rested for 10 minutes. If you want more smoke smoke for an hour at at 200 then turn up the heat and finish to 125 for med rare. Tri tips cook kinda weird because of the shape and they swell up. Slice thin for tenderness

Will be doing mine tomorrow. I've read that slicing against the grain is critical to tenderness. This will be my 1st so will try cooking at 250 and looking for an internal temp of about 135 to 140 for medium. Hoping for success:) By the way Paid $23 at local meat market for a 3 pounder.

Yes the grain runs different in different parts of the tri tip. I paid $3.97 lb in the bag untrimmed for the ones I have now 4 in a bag at around $40 bucks a bag.

Will be doing mine tomorrow. I've read that slicing against the grain is critical to tenderness. This will be my 1st so will try cooking at 250 and looking for an internal temp of about 135 to 140 for medium. Hoping for success:) By the way Paid $23 at local meat market for a 3 pounder.
So how'd it turn out?

So how'd it turn out?
Sounds like you and I are thinking the same way. Mine is cooking right now and up to 99 degrees internal. Like you, this is my 1st and it was difficult seeing which way the grain ran. So we are hoping for success. Intend to pull it from the smoker at around 130 or so and then do a reverse sear on the grill. YouTube videos said around 2 hours. We'll see. Good luck with yours.

Latest Discussions

Back