Smoke Tubes

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone use the smoke tubes? and if so can you use the same pellets that we cook with?
or do you have to buy a special pellet for the tubes?

thanks

I use one. Just use the same pellets. Pack it full, light it with a torch up-right. Let it burn like a candle for about 8 to 10 minutes then blow out the flame and it will start smoking. Carefully, without disturbing pellets, lay it on its side in the smoker.

I use one. Just use the same pellets. Pack it full, light it with a torch up-right. Let it burn like a candle for about 8 to 10 minutes then blow out the flame and it will start smoking. Carefully, without disturbing pellets, lay it on its side in the smoker.
thanks Mike, I think I will get one of those, by the way, do you know about the Smoke Density Control on your new smoker?

No, sorry I don't know what that is. Mine doesn't have that as far as I know and I have 2 Pit Boss smokers.

Attachments

• 20201122_155537.jpg
    20201122_155537.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 210
there is NOTHING in the manual about this, also the 5 setting on the temp. dial is not a 5, but it's a S for SMOKE
the manual did not say anything about that either.
learned from reading questions and answers.
also tech support didn't know about these things!!!
maybe this is the key to better results from this thing PB850PS2
I will try it this week

I have never heard of smoke density control and Pit Boss support does not know of it maybe it is just a marketing ploy on that sheet.

I have never heard of smoke density control and Pit Boss support does not know of it maybe it is just a marketing ploy on that sheet.
well I am going to find out when I put it on the S setting, see if it gives me some more smoke controls

no smoke was the reason I called tech support last weekend, they wanted me to re-wire (cross fan and auger wires) the controller.

well I am going to find out when I put it on the S setting, see if it gives me some more smoke controls

no smoke was the reason I called tech support last weekend, they wanted me to re-wire (cross fan and auger wires) the controller.
let us know how it goes. The smoke setting should produce more smoke as it does with the Non-PID controllers.

let us know how it goes. The smoke setting should produce more smoke as it does with the Non-PID controllers.
The S setting does nothing but maintain a lower temp, 165 ish - 225, NO SMOKE DENSITY CONTROL!
WTF Pit Boss??
I started a thread on auger feed ratios, maybe get some input there about these controllers, I'll bet we will have varying feed ratios.
Mine, 20 seconds off, 1 second on.
No matter the temp settings.
I think the fan controls the temp.

Anyone use the smoke tubes? and if so can you use the same pellets that we cook with?
or do you have to buy a special pellet for the tubes?

thanks
I use my smoke tubes - I have three, depending on how long I want to smoke an item - almost more than I use the smoker. I use them to cold smoke in my old vertical Walmart smoker but I also use them in the barrel of my precious PitBoss Combo. I cold smoke cheese, salmon, catfish, and pork loin when I'm making Canadian bacon. I tried cold smoking Havarti in Tucson in September but no wayno for kaka, man. I ended up with dripping Havarti all over the place, not to mention the loss of two incredibly delicious half-pounds of Havarti. Cold smoking means just that - use the tubes when it's COLD! And yes, I just use the same pellets as I use in the PitBoss. Best temps I've used, and we're limited in Tucson, even in Winter, are between 40 and 60 degrees Farenheit. I have a short tube, the longer tube, and then I have the Maze. I like the Maze for the longer smokes, but you have to be extra careful that the embers don't jump the trail barriers and light everything else to smoking before it's had the proper transition in progress. Sometimes, you may need to add some kind of additional air circulation, VERY gentle, to keep the coals going. And then, there's the beloved PitBoss itself. But I find using the electric smoker for anything other than larger cuts of meat creates too much heat for things like cheese and fish, especially if you want to can the smoked fish, which I like to do. The world is your oyster, man, when it comes to tubing and PitBossing. I'm a prepper and the PitBoss is essential to the long-term preparation of meats for vacuum packaging and canning. Best of luck, don't be afraid to have some epic fails, and have a wonder Christmas and Holiday season.

The S setting does nothing but maintain a lower temp, 165 ish - 225, NO SMOKE DENSITY CONTROL!
WTF Pit Boss??
I started a thread on auger feed ratios, maybe get some input there about these controllers, I'll bet we will have varying feed ratios.
Mine, 20 seconds off, 1 second on.
No matter the temp settings.
I think the fan controls the temp.
what the pause effect does is actually throws more pellets on the fire which draws a smolder type burn which causes the smoke. Pellet grills are not design to be smokers as a lot of consumers who purchase the grill think they are getting a legitimate smoker out of the box and actually they are not.

If you want a real smoker you need a stick burner to produce the results of smoked meat it is just plain as that on which pellet grills are not going to get you any where close to a stick burner.

what the pause effect does is actually throws more pellets on the fire which draws a smolder type burn which causes the smoke. Pellet grills are not design to be smokers as a lot of consumers who purchase the grill think they are getting a legitimate smoker out of the box and actually they are not.

If you want a real smoker you need a stick burner to produce the results of smoked meat it is just plain as that on which pellet grills are not going to get you any where close to a stick burner.
the new PID controllers do not have the P pause setting.

Back