Smoke setting - temp for cooking ribs

Spaaackle

Reaction score
Mornin fellow meat smokers! I have a Pit Boss “Lexington” and have made ribs a few times now. Typically I would set the temp to 225 and let them cook for three hours before wrapping them.

My target temp is 225 but I want to use the smoke setting more, however on the default “P” setting of 4, my temp is usually hovering around 180.

Should I:
a. Adjust P setting lower to get my temps around 225
b. Just use the 225 setting and not worry about the smoke setting
c. Give up, return the smoker and settle for McRib sandwiches since I’m a lost cause anyway

thanks in advance!
Note: I love in northeast Georgia, and my smoker is in direct sun on normal days

That’s exactly how I smoke my ribs. I add seven up or sprite to my ribs when I wrap them though

That’s exactly how I smoke my ribs. I add seven up or sprite to my ribs when I wrap them though
Thanks Cowboy! I ended up using the smoke setting and lowering the P til the temp stayed around 225 (I think I ran it at P2 most of the time), but got it dialed in. Thanks!!

The higher the P setting the more smoke but I find if I go beyond 4 I get flame outs (might be due to the Florida humidity). My vertical Pit Boss doesn;t have a P setting but on the smoke setting it usually stays around 150. I did ribs Saturday first 3 hours on smoke and they turned out awesome. I used oak pellets and charcoal pellets in the smoke tube.

Mornin fellow meat smokers! I have a Pit Boss “Lexington” and have made ribs a few times now. Typically I would set the temp to 225 and let them cook for three hours before wrapping them.

My target temp is 225 but I want to use the smoke setting more, however on the default “P” setting of 4, my temp is usually hovering around 180.

Should I:
a. Adjust P setting lower to get my temps around 225
b. Just use the 225 setting and not worry about the smoke setting
c. Give up, return the smoker and settle for McRib sandwiches since I’m a lost cause anyway

thanks in advance!
Note: I love in northeast Georgia, and my smoker is in direct sun on normal days
ok I have a Lexington as well but I don't have the p setting why?

ok I have a Lexington as well but I don't have the p setting why?
The PID controllers do not have a P setting, those are for the older controllers. While the older controllers have the P setting they also have huge temp swings.

my last set of ribs I cooked I smoked for 8 hours I tried something new and did not wrap them most of the time I did the 3,2,1 . But I read on line as to not wrap them lower the cook temp to 225 and then to 150 and baste every 1/2 hour with apple juice and used the bump method to determine if they were done that method is use the tong grab the ribs in the middle and shake them up bumping them on the grate if the meat cracks between the bone their done .I had good result that time but have yet to try this again

Latest Discussions

Back