Smoke IT app MAJOR WiFI success READ!

blackhawk556

Reaction score
If you’re having serious issues in connecting your smoker to wifi read this please. I bought the KC combo and could not connect to wifi. My phone was able to connect to the smoker with Bluetooth only but it would only allow me to “set” the temperature. I was never able to see the “actual “ temperature. Actual and probe temps were always stuck at 68 degrees with no change. I called Smoke IT app support and they were not able to fix it. They said I might have a bad controller. I got a hold of pit boss through Instagram and they were able to escalate my ticket and ordered me a new controller.

Installed it tonight and bam! Still not working with same issue!!! Two controllers are bad how is that? Wrong, here is were it got interesting. I tried my IPhone XS with no success. I tried my wife’s XS Max and still nothing. I thought, this is an app issue. Even on the original controller, both phones behaved exactly the same.

I borrowed my mom’s Samsung note 8, logged in and BAM! “FIRMWARE UPDATE NEEDED” holy smokes I never got this message on both iPhones. Her phone updated the KC combo firmware right away and I finally got it to work!! I logged in on my iPhone and guess what? IT WORKS!!!

I am now able to control the SET temp and see the ACT temp. The probe temps seem to work as well.

Everyone try updating your firmware using an android and see if you have the same success as I did. The iOS app seems to have a major defect in not detecting outdated firmware. I wrote this on the iOS App Store review hoping other people see this. I read through some of the reviews on the app store and many seem to have the same issue I was having.

The android app has some cool smoke graphics that aren’t on iPhone. I can tell the developer spends more time developing the Android version than the iOS.
I hope this thread reaches many iOS users and pit boss. The developer is hurting the pit boss brand/reputation with their crappy software.

Last edited:
The last time my updated it now shows the Bluetooth & cloud icon. I have an IPhone.

If you’re having serious issues in connecting your smoker to wifi read this please. I bought the KC combo and could not connect to wifi. My phone was able to connect to the smoker with Bluetooth only but it would only allow me to “set” the temperature. I was never able to see the “actual “ temperature. Actual and probe temps were always stuck at 68 degrees with no change. I called Smoke IT app support and they were not able to fix it. They said I might have a bad controller. I got a hold of pit boss through Instagram and they were able to escalate my ticket and ordered me a new controller.

Installed it tonight and bam! Still not working with same issue!!! Two controllers are bad how is that? Wrong, here is were it got interesting. I tried my IPhone XS with no success. I tried my wife’s XS Max and still nothing. I thought, this is an app issue. Even on the original controller, both phones behaved exactly the same.

I borrowed my mom’s Samsung note 8, logged in and BAM! “FIRMWARE UPDATE NEEDED” holy smokes I never got this message on both iPhones. Her phone updated the KC combo firmware right away and I finally got it to work!! I logged in on my iPhone and guess what? IT WORKS!!!

I am now able to control the SET temp and see the ACT temp. The probe temps seem to work as well.

Everyone try updating your firmware using an android and see if you have the same success as I did. The iOS app seems to have a major defect in not detecting outdated firmware. I wrote this on the iOS App Store review hoping other people see this. I read through some of the reviews on the app store and many seem to have the same issue I was having.

The android app has some cool smoke graphics that aren’t on iPhone. I can tell the developer spends more time developing the Android version than the iOS.
I hope this thread reaches many iOS users and pit boss. The developer is hurting the pit boss brand/reputation with their crappy software.
Wow, great find. I am having the same issue and I have an iPhone. I'll have to track down someone with android to try updating the firmware.

I’m currently smoking a pork butt. Check out the app in action.

Attachments

• B53E61F0-F589-4D64-B927-CBF8EC68A7D0.png
    B53E61F0-F589-4D64-B927-CBF8EC68A7D0.png
    147.1 KB · Views: 617

Good to know thank you

Wow, great find. I am having the same issue and I have an iPhone. I'll have to track down someone with android to try updating the firmware.
I called the app tech line. They had me unplug my router to reset it and I now the wifi is working. I too am using an Iphone.

Back