slow temp raise

Mywheelspin63

Reaction score
I have a pitboss pro 850 that is about a year old , today it seems to be taking a long time for the temperature to get to 250 , I cleaned the fire pot and the temp probe , hopper is full.

I have a pitboss pro 850 that is about a year old , today it seems to be taking a long time for the temperature to get to 250 , I cleaned the fire pot and the temp probe , hopper is full.
Not being a smart a$$ but did the temps drop in your area? How long are we talking???

Have you tried a oven thermometer to make sure it is indeed 205 deg? I used my PBV4PS2 yesterday at 50 deg outside and it was up to 250 deg in about 15 mins. Give Pit Boss Tech Support a call 877 303 3134 option 2. Maybe a bad sensor?

Have you tried a oven thermometer to make sure it is indeed 205 deg? I used my PBV4PS2 yesterday at 50 deg outside and it was up to 250 deg in about 15 mins. Give Pit Boss Tech Support a call 877 303 3134 option 2. Maybe a bad sensor?
thanks will call tech support

I know that you're calling tech support, but when I 1st fire up my PB1150, I do the initial start (shitty smoke), then dial upto 350, once it hits 350, I dial back down to my desired smoking temp. Also, the pellet side of my grill is the coolest, the chimney stack side is the hottest (can vary as mush as 100℉ ). Hope you find a solution.

I know that you're calling tech support, but when I 1st fire up my PB1150, I do the initial start (shitty smoke), then dial upto 350, once it hits 350, I dial back down to my desired smoking temp. Also, the pellet side of my grill is the coolest, the chimney stack side is the hottest (can vary as mush as 100℉ ). Hope you find a

I know that you're calling tech support, but when I 1st fire up my PB1150, I do the initial start (shitty smoke), then dial upto 350, once it hits 350, I dial back down to my desired smoking temp. Also, the pellet side of my grill is the coolest, the chimney stack side is the hottest (can vary as mush as 100℉ ). Hope you find a solution.
Running good now I think I had some moist pellets in the tube , I keep the grill covered but the temperature dropped last few days and rain. Thanks

It hit 50 degrees here the other night. I tossed a small handful of pellets in the firepot and then turned it on (sear plate was open).

Set the temp to 350. Couple minutes when it caught on and got going, I closed the lid. 10 or 12 minutes later, internal temp was up to 350. Closed the sear plate, and dialed the temp back to 210. When it hit 225, I put my water pan, smoke tube and 4 pork butts in. Closed the lid (temp read 190) It went back up to 210 and was rock solid there except a couple times I opened and sprayed the meat. was on for 7 hours until internal temps hit 140-150. Took them out, wrapped them up and put them in the oven at 210 for another 9 hours until internal temps hit 204-208.

Of note, I do clean the PID temp sensor after every cook.

I do the initial start (shitty smoke), then dial upto 350, once it hits 350, I dial back down to my desired smoking temp.
What is the thought process behind this? Is it just to get it going quicker or do you find it creates more even temp after you roll it back down?

What is the thought process behind this? Is it just to get it going quicker or do you find it creates more even temp after you roll it back down?
I find that it gets going quicker, deffo not to even the tamp, as there is a 100 degree difference from the pellet side, to the stack side. I have just put together a shield, to place over the fire pot (1/4" x 6" x 6" welded together in a U shape), will test it tomorrow or Thursady to see if that evened the temps out.

Latest Discussions

Back