Should I prime each time I start

Rob123

Reaction score
I've done about 5 cooks on my Copperhead 5 series smoker and each time I've started the grill
I have had to restart to get the auger to move. First time I had a problem I emptied out all the pellets.
Other times I have had to clear out the auger two or three times before it started rotating. Often times
I unplug the grill and then plug it back in to restart. I listed this here instead of as a problem because
I generally resolve the issue in 5 to 10 minutes. Basically wanted to know people's startup procedure

I hardly ever use the prime button on my Copperhead 3 series. You shouldn't have to do that unless you are completely out of pellets. I start mine up and about 2 minutes later I see smoke.

That's what I want to achieve. I press start and the auger moves a little and stops. I usually take a wire brush and sweep out the pellets I can see by the auger. I restart and then it works.

That's what I want to achieve. I press start and the auger moves a little and stops. I usually take a wire brush and sweep out the pellets I can see by the auger. I restart and then it works.
Stop looking at the auger! The controller tunes itself and you force-feeding it just screws it up. When you shut it down, don't unplug it. When you start it again, turn it to smoke and go away! Let it do what it's supposed to do!

The only time I hit the prime button was when it was new to get the pellets into the pot. I hit start with the door open and do a few things, once I see smoke and hear the roar in the firepot I close the door and set my temp.

Latest Discussions

Back