Setting to Smoke Mode when turning on

Cool, I'll run a gauge on it of course, just wanted to know an about, incase I wanted to leave something run overnight.

Thanks!

The Lockhart fires up in "S" mode. Unfortunately, it looks like a "5"...a little confusing for 1st timers. BTW, for higher temps, set the control to 350 or higher AFTER you fire up in "S". It really kicks up the fan speed and auger frequency. Then set it to desired temp.
Interesting. I've had my 850 pro for about a year and have done quite a few cooks but always thought that 1st number was a 5 and not an S. I've usually just gone ahead and set what ever temp I intend to use and let it heat up. Will have to look closer next cook. If that setting is left alone does it mean you stay in smoke mode until your working temp is set? Always learning!:rolleyes:

Interesting. I've had my 850 pro for about a year and have done quite a few cooks but always thought that 1st number was a 5 and not an S. I've usually just gone ahead and set what ever temp I intend to use and let it heat up. Will have to look closer next cook. If that setting is left alone does it mean you stay in smoke mode until your working temp is set? Always learning!:rolleyes:
Yes, you'll stay in smoke mode.

Thanks. Will certainly keep that in mind next cook. Looked through my manual again but guess Pit Boss wants to keep that a secret.

That's correct.

I've got a pork loin going right now in my 850 pro. 1st time using smoke mode. It's hanging between 225 and 230. Someone earlier had said 180. Using a mixture of PB fruit blend and Classic blend. Looking forward to the result.

Beside temperature, could smoke mode be doing something additional? I am seeing light smoke.

I've got a pork loin going right now in my 850 pro. 1st time using smoke mode. It's hanging between 225 and 230. Someone earlier had said 180. Using a mixture of PB fruit blend and Classic blend. Looking forward to the result.

Beside temperature, could smoke mode be doing something additional? I am seeing light smoke.
Hello, are you using an external thermometer or is it the display on your smoker? If its the display on your pitboss then that seems to be about right, even though it says 225 it's probably actually running around 180. As for the light smoke, that's what you want. You don't want that heavy white smoke. Good luck with your cook, be sure to post pics and let us know how it turns out.

will be doing some pork belly and pork ribs this weekend, will be using S/5 :p mode, will post up when done

Pork loin came out moist and tasty but still not a lot of smoke flavor. Kept it on smoke mode for 2 hours before turning it up to 250 degrees. Will try different pellets next time

Attachments

• 20211007_170641_resized.jpg
    20211007_170641_resized.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 16
Looks tasty! Bottom line - you will not get the same smoke flavor from a pellet grill that you will from a stick burner. It's a trade off. More smoke for TONS more work tending a fire or less smoke on the pellet grill with less hassle. That is why a lot of us use smoke tubes.

Pellet "flavors" are a personal preference. I feel hickory or oak gives the best smoke flavor, but that is just me.
I want to give these a try Sam's 50/50 Hickory/Oak blend

I have a bag of their other blend but that is all they had when I went shopping there. Of course the next week they had the Hickory/Oak but I didn't need any pellets. Still working on a bag of Bear Mountain Pecan and then I'll start the Smokehouse Blend from Sam's (which is Hickory, Oak, Maple, Cherry).

Looks tasty! Bottom line - you will not get the same smoke flavor from a pellet grill that you will from a stick burner. It's a trade off. More smoke for TONS more work tending a fire or less smoke on the pellet grill with less hassle. That is why a lot of us use smoke tubes.

Pellet "flavors" are a personal preference. I feel hickory or oak gives the best smoke flavor, but that is just me.
I want to give these a try Sam's 50/50 Hickory/Oak blend

I have a bag of their other blend but that is all they had when I went shopping there. Of course the next week they had the Hickory/Oak but I didn't need any pellets. Still working on a bag of Bear Mountain Pecan and then I'll start the Smokehouse Blend from Sam's (which is Hickory, Oak, Maple, Cherry).
I have smoke tube ready with wood chips and pellets. Wanted to try smoke mode by itself to see how it did. Will try the smoke tube next cook. Have always used the tube with whatever pellets I have in the hopper. Looking forward to the trial. Smoke mode didn't seem to make a lot of difference. I was reading the temp from the controller face.

Latest Discussions

Back