Second time use of Lowe’s Series 4 Series 2 Model #PBV4PS2

Micbrody

Reaction score
Sunny; 73 deg ; mild wind; smoker in shade

Spatchcock two whole chickens- each 6.1lbs; olive oil and rub.

Changed from Competition to Cherry.

Plugged in. Used recipe mode:

Step 1) 1:30 of 225 deg f

Step 2) 1:00 at 300 deg f

Unit preheated up to 225f in about 20-25 minutes (door opened for 5 minutes; then another 15-20 minutes with door closed).

When temp achieved 225f, the program step 1 started counting down.

A few interesting observations about app:

1. With Bluetooth, the timer countdown showed the time. But under wifi only, no time was shown - just zeros
  2. Actual unit displace showed under “STEP” : P1. And under “TIME” showed countdown in minutes (for instance 1:13). However the app display on iPhone (again only shows when Bluetooth being used) showed under “STEP”: 00. And under “TIME” showed countdown only to the tens digit. So 1:13 on actual controller but 1:10 on app display. This continued entire time.
  3. Another peculiarity: on unit display, if in recipe mode, unable to change temperature when recipe mode going. I had set it via recipe step one to 225 and that’s what it attained. And dial by turning or pushing can’t change temperature. Maybe by design so no accidental change of temperature while recipe programs going. On app: same thing - unable to change temperature set point when recipe running. However : app shows dial set point at 130 deg f. Unit never acted like it was heating just to 130 f - it always stayed around 225f. On app , one can change the set point to whatever- say 350f; and dial on app will show 350f as set point, but nothing actually changes on actual unit.
  4. At end of recipes, I thought manual said it would go into a low temp keep warm mode. Instead it just shut off

Howdy. I was sitting here thinking about the Recipe function and checked in to do some research and first thing I ran across was this. I haven’t even read much in the manual about Recipe yet. But after reading this I have to ask is it basically steps for length of time at a certain temps?
I apologize for asking before even reading about it but your post sparked my immediate interest.
You’ve posted a great informative piece again. The detail is great.
I said before the app behaved pretty good for me but honestly I was basically monitoring. I did do a couple of things. Just to see what happened. But not much.
I also need to study the app info some more. When I got this thing with all the negative reviews I wasn’t actually planning on using it. But curiosity got the best of me.
One thing I’m curious about. On right of app display there was a little blue SOMETHING popping up. Then Two.
I actually had to get a loupe to see what the heck it was. My old eyes aren’t too good these days. Appeared to be a Bluetooth symbol.
Whats the deal. Does it run off WiFi. Or Bluetooth. I’m a little more interested in the app now and will indeed read and study it. But how exactly is this thing communicating. Via WiFi or Bluetooth?
And if this is a stupid question I apologize.
And regardless. Thanks for the great post. Now I’ll be up all night reading and probably dreaming about it. Lol.

Howdy. I was sitting here thinking about the Recipe function and checked in to do some research and first thing I ran across was this. I haven’t even read much in the manual about Recipe yet. But after reading this I have to ask is it basically steps for length of time at a certain temps?
I apologize for asking before even reading about it but your post sparked my immediate interest.
You’ve posted a great informative piece again. The detail is great.
I said before the app behaved pretty good for me but honestly I was basically monitoring. I did do a couple of things. Just to see what happened. But not much.
I also need to study the app info some more. When I got this thing with all the negative reviews I wasn’t actually planning on using it. But curiosity got the best of me.
One thing I’m curious about. On right of app display there was a little blue SOMETHING popping up. Then Two.
I actually had to get a loupe to see what the heck it was. My old eyes aren’t too good these days. Appeared to be a Bluetooth symbol.
Whats the deal. Does it run off WiFi. Or Bluetooth. I’m a little more interested in the app now and will indeed read and study it. But how exactly is this thing communicating. Via WiFi or Bluetooth?
And if this is a stupid question I apologize.
And regardless. Thanks for the great post. Now I’ll be up all night reading and probably dreaming about it. Lol.
When Bluetooth is on, the tiny blue icon is the Bluetooth icon. If one switches off Bluetooth, the wifi icon is shown. The controller can work off either- though I think it preferentially chooses Bluetooth.
One interesting observation I neglected to mention: when my phone was in airplane mode (no wifi ; no Bluetooth; no cellular), the wifi icon still appeared on app- but nothing updated

So. It’s possible to just turn off Bluetooth and use WiFi ? I wonder which would be more reliable.

So. It’s possible to just turn off Bluetooth and use WiFi ? I wonder which would be more reliable.
I don’t think it matters. Just leave both on; and if Bluetooth signal is lost from smoker, the wifi will automatically work. So that might happen if you are in your house but far from smoker; or decide to do shopping

Thanks again. I think I have things caught up and can go back to the manual.

It seems to work way better when bluetooth is enabled, at least with updates via the app. I find it when it's on WIFI, it works but seems delayed. Now it did work way better when i had the unit closer to my house which maybe a signal issue, and honestly im surprised its even picking up any wifi as my iphone 11 pro seems to struggle with wifi connection in my backyard location. I'm gonna get a access point put outside this week which will greatly improve the signal and see how it goes. It did seem to work fine via the wifi/cloud and it was watching the temps when i did my intial burn on the unit and it worked great. Again, it was closeer to the house and the signal was a lot stronger. I'll dig a bit deeper into the app and see how it works when i take the variables out.

Latest Discussions

Back